Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

I've just spent the last week reading through this, very gripping stuff. Seems you have done a cracking job by any ones standards. It's one thing to take an idea and make it work, it's another to go to town like this. I can't believe you had the patience to stick at it. I'd have lost the plot long ago but I do know what it's like to have a dream.
It was a thoroughly enjoyable read with some first class ideas and info for the rest of us.

We are all aspiring to make our 911's better in some way or another but that's a high target to be aiming for.

I'm on a bit of a 'restoration" of my own car and as I go I'm doing a few mods here and there on a tight budget. A few things I do want though are the gt3 seats and a lightweight battery. I'll be doing the clutch and other bits so I'll go the lwfw route.

Can I ask what spec battery you were able to use? It's a weekend toy and I have a c-tek so the whole race car things grand. I can also sort AaAn aluminium bracket easy enough too.

Can I ask your opinion on an aluminium race car style undertray instead of the standard plastic ones? I could knock this up easy enough.
Any thoughts on this?

Hi Ned, the best battery in the case you state would be the:

Shido Lithium LiFePO4 LTZ14S

You can probably pick one up for £100 new, they weigh about 950gr so a saving around 16.5kg just on the battery. You will need a suitable lithium trickle charger; only around £40.

The OEM undertray is made from steel so you will save another 1kg or so here (the exact weight saving is probably on my first page, it may even be a little more).

Glad to hear you are looking into weight saving options and have found the thread useful ;)

ETA: just checked the first page: battery tray is 1.2kg

Hi Richard
The undertrays Ned is referring to are the ones that fix to the underneath of the car rather than the one the battery sits on.

Hi Richard, is that a bike battery?

And martins right, I'm just talking about the chassis under trays.
I'll sort the battery box/tray when I get to the battery

Hi Ned, yes a bike derived lithium battery. Very compact but has plenty of cranking power.
Regarding undertrays, the standard plastic ones are very light. So I guess you are looking at this for other reasons. I personally wouldn't bother as I can't even see marginal gains. Only possible positive may be if in doing so you fit NACA ducts and route some cool air around the engine

ELA said:
Hi Ned, yes a bike derived lithium battery. Very compact but has plenty of cranking power.
Regarding undertrays, the standard plastic ones are very light. So I guess you are looking at this for other reasons. I personally wouldn't bother as I can't even see marginal gains. Only possible positive may be if in doing so you fit NACA ducts and route some cool air around the engine

I was only asking about Ali under trays is because I need some and just thought about making them rather than buying. I'll maybe look more into this when I get that far :thumb:

Hi richard. Another question for you. What belt did you use to drive the water pump? I currently am sorting electric power steering in the frunk so I can do away with the power steering pump at the rear. I also have ripped out the aircon as it didn't work anyway. The pumps are still in place but I'll be dropping the engine so it'll be easier to whip them off then. I remember you cut off the bracket for ps pump. Did you keep the aircon or ditch it? Did you have an under drive pulley and what belt did you use?

Ned it was actually a little complicated, I redesigned pulleys, removed idler pulleys, reversed belt run in places...

37240639596_6625af671c_c.jpg

Here is my solution to the belt run. From memory I used a PK1445 belt, but that would only work for you if you did the exact same. It is easy to measure the belt you need just use a piece of string, any slight miscalculation (+/- 10mm) will be taken up by the tensioner pulley. I have removed both PAS and AC pumps

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise belts could simply be measured and bought like that. I'll leave it until I drop the engine. I might see about getting an under drive pully made at that stage. All depends on cost I suppose compared to buying one. Haven't given much thought to that side of things yet, also still unsure about the rs fan delete on one of the rads.

I have whipped my battery out, a bigger than standard fit for some reason weighing in at 21.5kgs according to google so a good saving to be had there.

What has happened about selling parts or conversions? I'd like a set of your extended seat runners to allow rear seat access with buckets

effervesce said:
What has happened about selling parts or conversions? I'd like a set of your extended seat runners to allow rear seat access with buckets

Possibly would need a set of these myself

effervesce said:

Sorry guys recent new toy has been keeping me busy:

49220863863_510d2fd759_k.jpg

As much as I'd love to be involved in car building and manufacture full time, I'm just very busy with my real job so the cars will just have to be for fun :thumb:

Ned your battery sounds like a monster, possibly a TT battery as they are heavier than Carrera ones.

Yeah the battery is a big one alright. Nice we bit to be shaved off there. I must look more at the bike battery you recommended. Hard to believe something that small would do.

I found this thread last Friday...

First, I could not believe what I found. It's like founding something I was looking for ages. How did I found it? Well, I was in contact with various people and companies for about two years now, to get the details on weight saving potential. I work on my priority list on what to work next, etc.
Most of the time the documentation of weight is not precise, or pictures, etc. are missing.
So I was in contact with Cargraphic to get some details on their lightweight carpet, as usual, I got at least the number, without some real details. I used google to search for it, and the thread of your GT3RS appeared. Which was already a revelation!

But then I found this, a very detailed documented and logically thought through project. I spend the last weekend reading this thread and I have to say, that it needs to be documented as a PDF for future generations! This information shouldn't get lost.

After I sorted out my ideal suspension setting the last two years(I wanted a 997 to handle like a 996), a similar project to this here is on my list for the next two years! Starting this March. Most of the parts have been collected over the last year. It's time to start. Especially the carbon roof top is a must for me, as it's the highest point of the car and I have a sunroof fitted on mine :(

Thank you Richie!!!
:worship:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back