Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Idle issue

caterman

Monza
Wasn't sure whether to add this to the cold start stumble thread as this may be the same issue.
1999 3.4 C2, cable throttle just completed replacing the starter motor and positive cable so the battery has been unplugged for a few weeks.

Started it up yesterday and it started fine but died started it again with a little throttle and it was fine, but it still clearly wanted to stall without the throttle on for a few min, took it for a spin and it was great right through the rev range and didn't stall on sudden braking, however on cold start it's as if there is no choke and I've also noticed that the revs don't vary with the AC on or off. Previously neither of these issues were present.

I've rechecked that there are no plugs left out (although I would expect a wider range of issues if that was the case), done a DME reset (although I'm not clear if this is necessary with a cable throttle).

Do the Collective think it's worth giving it a few more runs to see if it is an ECU relearning thing or do we think it is the Idle valve. If so can anyone point me to an idiots guide on how to test the valve, I know that passing a 9v through it will open or close it but I'm not clear where you stick the power/earth.

Your previous issue was one of slow spin over so its not related to that fault as such .

You would check more for air leaks , vacuum pipes left off rather than electrical plugs i feel .

Dme reset is the same as clearing a Dme fault code .. it resets the adaptations and as such the car will take a good few miles to get back to its usual settings .

Do this first .

For me after that .. just replace the Idle Air Control Valve .. you can clean them .. i've often done it on the earlier Bosch type cars ( 993 , 928 ) .. never really seems to be that effective over a longer period though .

Mallone i believe has just had a similar fault .. scroll down a bit for his comments .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back