Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Had the chirping of doom.......

ScoobyDoo555

Barcelona
Sorry - sounds really melodramatic :D

Driving home the other day, I noticed a chirping from the engine bay...... so I did the obvious thing and turned the stereo up: problem solved :thumbs:

In all seriousness, got home and it was sounding rather unpleasant, so parked the car up and did some homework.

After removing the poly belt, I noticed that the waterpump had some play in it. (B@LLS). But not as much as the tensioner pulley!

So yesterday, after getting the parts and battling the elements, new pump and pulley fitted.

The MANY videos out in youtube land fail to mention the b@llache it is to remove a couple of plates to get to the pump - little maneuvouring room, and of course, 20 years of fixed position!

Anyway, done and dusted, and a lot quieter.

FWIW, I went with:-

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...er-986---996-C2---996-C4--non-Turbo-_3_2_2_2/

read the pro/cons of impeller materials, and when I looked at the porsche pump, realised its a composite one anyway (well, that's what came of my car )

The tensioner pulley came from www.onlinecarparts.co.uk - actually came from Germany but was 66% cheaper for the same thing than over here. Took about 10 days to arrive.

Anyways, done and done. Roll on the next 60,000 miles :D

DAn

Sorry to read of your trauma, but GREAT recovery. I did an idler pulley/bering and water pump replacement on a 928 some time back and about four of the 6mm bolts holding the water pump in position broke regardless of how careful I was, can only imagine how difficult that would have made your task. :eek: :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back