Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre flap on side wall - is it gonna be ok?

Stick it back down and it'll be fine. The strength of a tyre is down to the textile plies under the outer rubber layer and you're nowhere near them yet. You'll know when you get down to them as they look like threads (polyester/nylon/kevlar)

13 years ago I took a much larger chunk out of the rim protector area of a rear tyre on my 330d estate, I went to Pro Tyre in Gloucester and I had to leave the wheel/tyre with them and the sent it off for a hot vulcanising process (which as I understand it is basically bonding rubber to it to bring it up to the same thickness again.

Apart from the writing/symbols missing around the area of the repair it looked like a full tyre again and it stayed on the car for many thousand of miles and was still on when I sold the car.

I've had a quick look at Pro Tyre's website but there doesn't seem to be anything about repairs on there now...

My MOT station says the same as deMort. Its just the sidewall protection if no canvas is showing.

Hovis said:
Still on the topic of wheels and tyres
Been offered some 20" sport techno wheels from a 991.
Off set is different to that on my targa 4 but only a few mm.
Front: 9J ET 51
Rear: 11.5J ET 48

Any one on the board run 20" with any advice?

After recently trying out 20inch Carrera Classic 2s from a 991 on my 997 to save yourself a lot of hassle & possible expense id drop the idea completely , they ruined the handling & the et 51 9j front needs a tyre like a rubber band to avoid rubbing on full lock :what:

Thanks for the heads up on the 991 wheels.

Will give them a miss

Alex said:
Just stick it back, it'll be fine.

Yep no canvas showing so OK :thumb:

I've just done 1,900 miles through the Swiss Alps at a fair lick on what turned out to be 10yr old tyres :oops:

I did this on my old M3, ran the thing fine for the whole time I owned it no problems. It's just the rim protector. However saying that, whenever I was pushing on it would creep into my mind and hold me back a bit on reaching high speed number (probably a good thing given the speed that car could achieve). Up to you and your state of mind about it. Functionally I'm sure it will be safe and fine to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back