Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension. Comparing damper options

Looks interesting- I shall buy a copy!

I'm happy with this comment

Attachments

• 20191205_174319_818.jpg
    20191205_174319_818.jpg
    945.2 KB · Views: 2,002
Any info to go with the data on what everyone's actual setup was?

skinny_monkey said:
Mostly lemon from sorbet?
What does that mean!?

Really not sure, I think he is sitting on the fence to avoid upsetting anyone!

The dessert comments are a little er unusual although he does say that Neil's cab is his favourite... :hand:

And goes on to half say something at the end, which is somewhat frustrating.

Can't fault his judgement overall though, obviously.

skinny_monkey said:
Mostly lemon from sorbet?
What does that mean!?
I guess the lemon is sharp, for a sharper less comfortable ride. Sorbet vs ice cream where sorbet is sharper than the ice cream. And then lemon vs vanilla vs strawberry being sweeter and sweeter i.e. softer and smoother rides??

Of course the entire piece is all about ride comfort on the road. Mine is JUICE rather than ice cream or sorbet. Super super face contorting sharp haha!

Just read the article.

Fantastic effort to all those involved, especially Maldren for getting such a breath of Damper/spring options for the 996 together in one place.

Whist I can see the conundrum of different approaches. I am still flummoxed as to whether coilovers are worth the money, effort and shear faff? The standard/Mo30 cars appeared to fair very well in comparison.

The only defo was no one will be buying Eibach/Koni combo from now on. (Sorry Tommy! 😬)

Sadly, I feel Bennett and Franklin have both copped out on offering any meaningful opinion on what was the best damper/spring combo for UK roads. And critically, why.

Thoughts?

The report needs to be read in context. As mentioned in the report, it was about ride comfort and it's subjective. It was not an involved handling test day with timed laps, or even a track to drive, so to speak.

I took my car on the NC500 this year and felt it was fine, even on the rough single track roads. On track, it's great. I would say my M2 has a LIME JUICE ride compared to my 996. It's all subjective.

When I looked into dampers I couldn't find any information to suggest that Koni special active dampers were suitable for use with lowering springs :?:

I picked a copy up today, although I have now sold my Carrera, I have just ordered Ohlins to go on the new car, so will see the difference myself.

Don't fit standard springs for road use, they are very firm. 40/90Nm seems a good compromise and is still firmer than the GT3!

It's a great article and a credit to all involved.

I guess the point is that ride/handling is subjective. 15 yrs ago the 964RS was considered undriveable on UK roads yet now the fashion is for ride generally to be much firmer. My '07 Audi A5 Sport had a worse ride than my '03 4S... My '14 reg Merc CLS is surprisingly harsh at times (on an OE derivative of FSDs).

The article did bring data to bear, which was interesting.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to my visit to CG in early Jan to hear what they have to say about my 4S.

I do agree though the M030 came out well, and I suspect for road use its good enough for me, albeit after the worn-out bits have been refreshed.

I agree on the m030. I thought I was getting old as it's as hard as I really could stick it. I have however made the decision to go for solid bushes on the rear subframe and I'm making polybushes for the rest. The idea behind making them is so that I can change them for softer compounds if the solid bushes make it too harsh. I want to do a few track days and I want to avoid having to go adjustable toe arms if possible. I have spax springs fitted to my mo30 shocks and I find them a little softer which I like.

It was good to see the m030 fair out well as it just goes to show that you don't necessarily need to spend thousands upgrading to coil overs

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back