Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Light weight fly wheel choice

NedHan79

Suzuka
Is a sachs clutch suitable to work on a lightweight flywheel?

I bought a sachs clutch a while ago from car parts for less when the discount was good. What I didn't get obviously was a flywheel.

Is there anything to look for when buying one?

I've fitted a Helix sprung clutch to my lightweight flywheel. Both clutch and flywheel supplied by Coordsport. Price and service were great. One thing to watch out for, on my flywheel I needed to use shorter bolts - these are torque to yield I cant remember the exact figures but you tighten to a certain torque then follow with a certain amount of degrees. With a shorter bolt you will need less degrees to reach the right amount of stretch. I did the calculations but off the top of my head the reduction in degrees was proportional to the reduction in bolt length ie if the bolts are 40% shorter tighten them 40% less degrees.

Haven't done many miles on the new clutch so cant comment on reliability but initial impressions are good.

What clutch kit did you buy? It needs to be compatible with the solid flywheel, ie; RS spec

Some one else mentioned a sprung clutch but I'd imagine the one I bought is a standard one. Think they had said that the bite would be sharp but it would work ok.

I've seen one on eBay but as with anything on eBay I'd be a bit apprehensive.

A ttv flywheel is now sorted thanks to crash7. I still however only have a standard Sachs clutch so this is something I'll need to look more into. I'm in no hurry as I'd say it'll be well into the new year before I drop the engine and box but I like to gather up the parts as I go.

Where could I get a sprung clutch?

Had a TTV flywheel on since April, think it's a standard Sachs clutch, but was supplied by the garage that did the flywheel so not 100%sure.

Find it really good and really improves the driving experience. A lot more gearbox noise though when on the move than I have experienced before with other 911's with LWF.

I'm not sure on the clutch yet but I'm in no hurry. The flywheels sorted now so that's a decent start. Good to hear your feed back on it though

Anyone else any experience of standard clutches on lightweight flywheels?

Anyone?
I'm hoping to drop the engine and box out tomorrow but still haven't got round to getting a sprung clutch. As things are a Atm, it'll be hard to get hold of one and I'll not lie, I don't t want to spend anything as like a lot of people, I don't know if I'll have any work when everything gets back to normal.

I do however want the engine and box back in as soon as I've any work that needs doing to clean up the chassis etc.
I left with a few choices
1. Splash out for a sprung clutch plate
2. Bung the standard one in with the lwfw
3. Leave the dual mass in if it's ok and stick the sachs clutch in and forget about the lwfw

Another problem I have is the shorter bolts.
I've left this all very late but I had been tied up with other parts of the build

As usual
All input welcomed

No idea how much chatter a LWFW with standard clutch will give you
But I purchased a sprung clutch to try and minimise that
And mine still has a fair bit of chatter!

My sprung clutch was from RPM :thumb:

Isn't the chatter only at idle? If that's all I could live with it.

NedHan79 said:
Isn't the chatter only at idle? If that's all I could live with it.

It is yes :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back