Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic Gearbox - Manual Gear Selection

SP

Evening,

Just wanting to check some tiptronic manual function logic:

On my early 996.1 the steering wheel gear selector switch does not work in D, only in M

On a 996.2 which I have driven the gear selector switch functions in D and M

Is this a function which was only introduced at some point during the 996 lifecycle or is this function dealer configurable etc?

Thanks for any pointers. :bye:

The functionality to do it in 'D' has been there in my 996.2C4 , 996T and 997.1T so it looks like it was a change after the 996.1.

I'd be interested to hear from other 996.1 Tiptronic owners.

Mine is a yr2000 996.1 tiptronic.

When the steering wheel buttons are operated in D, they operate the gears manually and revert back to auto around 30 seconds after the last button press.

My buttons didn't work when my Torque Convertor Clutch ceased operation (probably not connected with this), but when the gearbox was overhauled, the transmission company sorted out the button operation and have worked ever since.

Bluebird911 said:

When the steering wheel buttons are operated in D, they operate the gears manually and revert back to auto around 30 seconds after the last button press

This was my expectation. Keen to keen from any other 98-2000MY owners to see if there was a logic change point.

OR if anybody knows if manual shifting can be enabled in 'D"

Bluebird911 said:

When the steering wheel buttons are operated in D, they operate the gears manually and revert back to auto around 30 seconds after the last button press.

Same for mine, though mine is a 2000 996 Turbo Tiptronic S - not sure if it makes any difference.

RichiRich said:
....... mine is a 2000 996 Turbo Tiptronic S - not sure if it makes any difference.

All the 996s had Tiptronic S gearboxes however those fitted to the 3.4 cars were made by ZF and all later cars were made by Daimler/Chrysler.

My research has shown that they were all designed to function in the same way so it appears that SP's car may have a problem if he can't manually select gears whilst in 'D'.

:agree:

30 seconds of manual if in D is what i thought all of these cars did .. check that if in manual both the buttons shift up and down as its common for a button to not work .

mines the same, a 98 996, buttons only work in M, later ones have the working in D etc.

My '99 only works in M too

02 and buttons work in both D and M modes

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back