Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 Cayman has gone. 986 project starts

Been a bit quiet recently. Have taken delivery of some LED headlights, which apparently have a better beam pattern than HIDs so won't blind oncoming drivers. They are secondhand and only 30 sheets so if they're no good, they're no good. Realistically, I would prefer to do the 'HID Projector mod' to my OEM ambers.

Barely drive the car anyway, so night time driving may not be an issue to be honest. Bought some tasty CREE LED side bulbs to match the headlights too.

Buying a 'Speedbooster' to instal too, try and liven things up a bit. Do miss the 'Sport' button. Got a TD booked at Snetters at the end of Nov for some low grip work.

Having owned the car a while now, I'm convinced the car needs a complete overhaul at CG. Just doesn't come close to providing the confidence the Cayman did our on the twisties.

I have the Xenon's on my car and TBH they're not brilliant, literally! High beam is a std bulb I think but low beam is the HID and they're no better than a std Halogen.

Xenon HIDs or Halogens though?

HIDs made a huge difference on my Cayman. Flew the MOTs too.

Mine are Xenon's D2S 6k, one had gone so I bought a pair they cost £55 + vat. As mentioned I think they're very poor light output.

Interesting, I assumed you weren't talking about HIDs. Bum batch? Or the Kelvin is too high? Circa 4,800k provides the closet match to daylight and therefore the most useful light. Hence OEM you normally get bulbs around that temperature.

Your car had Litronics and you replaced just the bulbs?

My Cayman ones were from 'HIDS4U', can't knock the output or the customer service. They were 5,200k IIRC.

Cheers, Rob. I don't have a soft top anymore, unlikely I'll be going topless. Just left the hardtop on the drive when I did try Speedster. Good thing the tin man didn't come by with his little bell.

Took her to a very wet Snetterton last weekend, she performed flawlessly. Whilst a mate in a 991 Turbo S and another in a GT4 did 10 laps before calling it a day due to too many goons having big offs.

Track was shut 5 times, we left early in the end after a Jap car left fluids around the entirety of the track. The aforementioned friends all agreed I had the best car on the day :thumb:

Boxster out of hibernation the other day having sat unloved with a failed rear tyre since Snetterton. Had a company called 'HomeTyre' put some Camskill delivered PS4 on, rang them at 8a.m. they were over early afternoon, not a mark left on the rims, unlike the monkeys at F1 Autos. Really impressed with the company.

The nonstop bailing out has passed as the rain has finally stopped. Turns out the car is parked nose down and the clam shell designed ingress has been bypassing the drains.

I have new regs/membranes to go in. I need to do the brakes before the next TD. Plan to lose the hifi, lock the rear fin up as per the American BSR and lose the mechanism. Then see if the A/C is an easy fix or not, if not, I'll lose it I think.

A mate thats handy with CF is talking about doing me some CF door cards, especially as he finds himself with more capacity in this world gone mad.

Felt good to blow out the cobwebs the other day! We're still allowed to have morning ragsters aren't we?!

Right oh, MOT'd today.... brakes are FUBAR as is obvious.

Done an oil change to Millers 10w 50 as per Baz's suggestion. Not driven it yet though to see if I notice a difference.

Membranes and regs going in not this weekend but next. I really need some glitzy parts to go in like JonTTT and his motors. Then I might get more replies!!!

Headunit and amp has been pulled out and sold on ebay. Another 3kg odd taken out.

Whacked in new regs and membranes with a mate yesterday. Gosh, getting in and out without grief is something you take for granted! Haha

Also removed the rest of the hifi and soft top mechanism, along with engine cover carpet and foot mats. Saw another 17.5kg reduction so taking me up to 55kg lost so far.

Losing the soft top gearboxes and motor saw the hard top no longer being a weight penalty, so very happy with that.

A/C isn't working, may just scrap it and see my body weight lost from the car?! :?:

Locking the rear 'wing' up is worth 7kg by all accounts too, but looking at it, once you do it there's no going back.

:thumb:

Been talking to myself for ages in this thread, only way to assure intelligent conversation :grin:

You need to post up pictures :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back