Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Not another what oil question... 110,000 5W 40?

skinny_monkey said:
I use 0W-40 on my 120k car. Oil pressure isn't telling me i need anything different, still around 2 bar at hot idle

When your engine is so worn you can't achieve the correct oil pressure using the standard grade oil, you need a rebuild not a thicker oil.

DarthFaker said:
skinny_monkey said:
I use 0W-40 on my 120k car. Oil pressure isn't telling me i need anything different, still around 2 bar at hot idle

When your engine is so worn you can't achieve the correct oil pressure using the standard grade oil, you need a rebuild not a thicker oil.
I understand your point (once you are showing low oil pressure, thicker oil is just a sticking plaster). Im not saying you need to wait until you're showing 1 bar and your engine sounds like a bag of nails before you consider using a different oil. Im just saying, for a road car that lives in the UK, and shows 2 bar at hot idle, why do i need a thicker oil?

I'm not against using different oils from manufacturers spec, my track day MX5 turbo runs 10W-60, but doesn't do much in the winter, and gets driven hard i.e. the application requires the thicker oil (it's also a bit worn out at 180k miles!!)

In any case, if you are going for a thicker oil, I'd go 10W-50 rather than a 5W-40. As a previous poster stated, at full operating temperature a 5W-40 is in the same viscosity band as a 0W-40 but thicker at lower temps, so doesn't actually offer that much benefit. (5W-50 is theory is better than 10W-50 but it requires more viscosity modifier to keep the higher temp viscosity and so is more prone to shear thinning over time, so it won't keep its high temp viscosity and will drop back towards a 5W-40)

All the oil I've ever used is *w 40 (so same viscosity up at temp.) and I hover around 0.8 bar at idle and have done for 6 years (& 57k miles). Amazes me how much variation I see on the pressure at tickover with different members. All I can put it down to is inaccuracy of gauges. Although the gauge isn't there as comparison of other gauges but more variation overtime of your own gauge.

:dont know:

Alex, can I ask what your reasoning was for moving from 0W 40 to 5W 40? Would be well happy if mine gets to your mileage with nothing major engine wise. Ta

I get down to 1.2 bar at hot idle when the oil goes over 100 celcius.

I will be changing to 10w50 Millers our of pure fear, and because low oil pressure gives me the gibbles.

Ran my gen1 and now my gen2 997s on Millers nano plus 10W50 as recommended by Hartech . :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back