Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 MK1

Well it's been a long time since an update, have been away a fair bit with work and used the car a fair bit over the summer.

I am currently working on a front end refresh, it will become apparent why with pictures!!

Front end stripped off.
msmxVYB.jpg

dynNQdY.jpg

Cleaned/checked the frunk etc
UA991d9.jpg

CA8opKl.jpg

jYb0OWL.jpg

Rads/condensers are in excellent condition as were replaced not long ago.
LlPZybr.jpg

pg3Qurh.jpg

HhdeFge.jpg

LrAvKtl.jpg

0EtZ6QA.jpg

However the radiator brackets not soooo much!!!
pg3GmTP.jpg

1CwttCA.jpg

VHetPnV.jpg

Rz90Blc.jpg

This is how she stands currently, fortunately I managed to remove the brackets without removing rads/condensers. I now have a big list of bits to order from Porsche....
cajxsnD.jpg

Currently the car is away having the whole underside/arches stripped back and repainted/stone chip protected, its costing a lot however with the lack of underseal protection on the GT3's it's well worth it and will be better than new when it comes back, I'm pretty certain that most of them will need this doing at some point and I wanted to get it sorted before it got really bad. I put in a massive list of parts with Porsche which I collected yesterday, and I've just spent the morning cleaning/scrubbing all the plastic shrouds/shields/arch liners and will coat them this afternoon.

£900 worth of Porsche parts!! 😳😳
qrUkWEz.jpg

JSUe3ai.jpg

dW1ItEO.jpg

New radiator mounts.
tboDhy6.jpg

All new undertrays!!
udazRfC.jpg

Today marked the return of the car from the bodyshop where it's had a complete underside & under arch restoration. It's also had a number of items blasted/powder coated, all new undertrays fitted and is now better than new underneath and good for another 20 years!. It's as per the factory in terms of colour/overspray areas and it's had 4 litres of wax applied on various areas. It was a pretty big outlay financially but well worth it in the long run and I'm pretty certain that all MK's will be needing doing.

Started working on the car early doors and had the back end back together well within 2 hours:

wmvFNSw.jpg

I then started working on the front/centre rad supports and all the ducts etc, I bought all new bolts/nuts/clips etc etc and full cleaned/degreased all plastics before giving them a thorough coat of plastic restorer. The rads/condensers and all exposed bolts/fixings were given a coat of ACF50 anti corrosion spray. After it was all back together I ran it up to temperature to make sure radiators were all warming at the same time and aircon was nice and cold. My OCD is somewhat expensive sometimes when I end up buying all new everything, however if I ever come to sell her the pile of receipts is ever increasing and the necessary jobs have been carried out!!

2pVBRb4.jpg

XMFrPop.jpg

4IUNKXz.jpg

UALYW91.jpg

WaNRlmc.jpg

k0rTWuE.jpg

tz6YmxR.jpg

lZifp66.jpg

RUUS81h.jpg

6sgEAtO.jpg

G1lFNeN.jpg

0zwl2Ab.jpg

dY9RSrq.jpg

dv9JGHU.jpg

Once the bumper is back on its service and MOT time, get the refurbed shocks & new springs on, give the suspension and geo a check over and then get out and give her a good thrashing! Can't wait to take her to Le Mans!!

Loving your work there DV, can't beat a bit of OCD. I do many little jobs like that myself and find it quite satisfying to replace new for old and even take the time to sand all the crud off then prime and paint.

You're going to have a lovely car there :thumb:

Are you off to LEMan this year then??

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=137174

Looks awesome, job satisfaction off the charts! Well done!

Just need some cool but dry Spring air to take her out in.

wow, your car looks fantastic and a lot of good work in that project

This is by far my favourite GT3. Excellent work!

Jay. said:
This is by far my favourite GT3. Excellent work!

Thanks! Means a lot that people appreciate the work that's gone into it.

Not a very exciting picture by any means however another £70 spent at Porsche means I have everything needed to finish a few small jobs, she's off for a service and MOT at Wrightune in Wallingford on Wednesday and then will be getting some miles on her.

hgBijxF.jpg

Well the car is finished and I drove her to service/MOT this morning, its been 7 months since I've been behind the wheel and I've forgotten just how bloody good a car it is!! I managed to get some photos of the underneath when it was up on the ramp:

During the underbody restoration at GTR Motorsport:

Qi7vxK9.jpg

DWQzADY.jpg

pzvhlJJ.jpg

FKlNgKw.jpg

H6mcmsE.jpg

YPjpzDp.jpg

p6GQUJC.jpg

F2sqCuf.jpg

F23v9hx.jpg

1Hu4JAP.jpg

580Shyc.jpg

All new undertrays/fixings etc and 4 litres of wax oil:
yy3GJhm.jpg

om4bcDF.jpg

mYa2jSm.jpg

yn9ly7E.jpg

eppdsxU.jpg

Here she's is back on the road:
v4C2MHT.jpg

Looks amazing :worship:

Snap (although mines not the real deal - although still love it)

0-DE582-F1-93-E7-476-F-B4-CD-A5-F20893-A6-A0.jpg

:thumb:

I've been considering an exhaust system for the car for a while, ideally I wanted an M&M system from Germany, they were the suppliers for Manthey who offered the K400 upgrade for the car, however at around £4500 I wasn't that keen!

An advert appeared here on 911UK with a full system comprising of ceramic coated stainless steel Fabspeed headers, GMG Motorsport silencers and cross over pipes with HJS 200 cell cats. The previous owner had them fitted to a MK2 GT3 and with a remap made significant gains, this system was around £5500, I picked it up for £1400.

Once it arrives I will fit the silencers, cross over pipes and cats myself, it will then go up to Matt at Fearnsport to have the headers fitted, the current bolts are rather corroded and if they snap off I have no way to remove them and he has done them plenty of times before! Once the full system is on I will get a remap carried out by Wayne Schofield.

K0RK0gG.jpg

50s44cF.jpg

K8rrV3v.jpg

DeUdXCI.jpg

Today's job involved fitting the rather lovely new RSS engine mounts and once again stripping the back of the car off!! This is helped by the fact I've done it a few times before and all the fixtures are brand new!

Old engine mounts removed, I think there will be rather a noticeable difference as these are the original factory ones from 21 years and 48k miles ago!!!!

NBYqxQH.jpg

New lovely RSS mounts:

m700FTP.jpg

Fitted in the car:

C1AmvFk.jpg

And now with all the exhaust off waiting for the new one!!

CTfslHF.jpg

Loving your work DV. I'm keen to know what you think of the RSS mounts on the road. Something I also intend to do and looks quite straightforward as I'm regularly taking the back end to pieces too.

Exhaust looks a nice bit of kit - how did you get on with the O2 sensors??

Yeah they are super easy to change over, need to work out what I'm doing on the gearbox now!! The new exhaust isn't fitted yet, that's on the previous owners car, fortunately it's coming with new sensors already fitted!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back