Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 Cup Car - 2021 Update, Going Racing

Hi Ollie, I hope you're well ? The car looks great.
Possibly worth having a chat with Ben in the parts department at Sutton Coldfield OPC ?
It looks like they had some kind of link with it/the driver/comapny that ran it as their name's on the front bumper.

Slippydiff said:
Hi Ollie, I hope you're well ? The car looks great.
Possibly worth having a chat with Ben in the parts department at Sutton Coldfield OPC ?
It looks like they had some kind of link with it/the driver/comapny that ran it as their name's on the front bumper.

Cheers Henry! All good this end, how's your car coming along?

That's a good shout also, do you know Ben's surname?

Love it wonderful to find out the history, imagine in time this will only boost the provenance & value of your racing Porsche, ace to me that the cup car history :thumb:

So for the last few weeks we've been busy throwing parts and love at the 996 Cup car, and just generally hitting it with the maintenance stick in a fairly big way to avoid any failures & set a future inspection baseline (car was purchased w/o paperwork). This has included but isn't limited to;

Gearbox strip/inspect/rebuild
Damper dyno & rebuild
Engine removal & clutch inspection
Lots of suspension components
Underbody trim, brake ducts etc.
A little paint here and there on mirrors & wing etc.

It's looking a lot more loved and should be ready for an outing early 2020 now.

pw5b7k6.jpg

Im9UIGu.jpg

XgEjIB0.jpg

tYwmvAi.jpg

VERY excited to get a run out in it.

Cheers

Ollie

Looks like it will be a lot of fun. When's the first run out?

Really digging this thread! :thumb:

I'll hopefully get out in it in January :thumb:

Did a runner from Christmas stuff and stripped some panels off to send for paint. Also spent many hours cleaning and polishing in dark crannies, makes an enormous difference to the overall presentation of the car.

I'm looking for an offside/drivers (RHD) side skirt if anyone has one, mine is beyond saving.

izHpq0t.jpg

AXBaaaV.jpg

KBee9RV.jpg

Looking really good. 8)

Typical. I've just sold a pair of those skirts for next to nothing. I've had a big clearout as we are hoping to move house next year.

I see it's now wearing Mk1 skirts yet it had mk2 originally. No big deal but at least you can go with either. It opens up your options a touch.

(When I say either, I mean a pair of Mk2 items or one Mk1 item obviously. Don't mix them. :grin: )

-ollie- said:
So for the last few weeks we've been busy throwing parts and love at the 996 Cup car, and just generally hitting it with the maintenance stick in a fairly big way to avoid any failures & set a future inspection baseline (car was purchased w/o paperwork). This has included but isn't limited to;

Gearbox strip/inspect/rebuild
Damper dyno & rebuild
Engine removal & clutch inspection
Lots of suspension components
Underbody trim, brake ducts etc.
A little paint here and there on mirrors & wing etc.

It's looking a lot more loved and should be ready for an outing early 2020 now.

pw5b7k6.jpg

Im9UIGu.jpg

XgEjIB0.jpg

tYwmvAi.jpg

VERY excited to get a run out in it.

Cheers

Ollie

That looks superb :thumb: 8) :thumb: 8)

Marky911 said:
Looking really good. 8)

Typical. I've just sold a pair of those skirts for next to nothing. I've had a big clearout as we are hoping to move house next year.

I see it's now wearing Mk1 skirts yet it had mk2 originally. No big deal but at least you can go with either. It opens up your options a touch.

(When I say either, I mean a pair of Mk2 items or one Mk1 item obviously. Don't mix them. :grin: )

Thanks Marky, can you stick me on a crash course on 996 side skirts?

Are they Gt3 specific?

Or are they just "aero" skirts?

You mention Mk1 & Mk2 types, will both fit any 996 chassis?

Given that it's a racer, and I'm not going to freak out over panel gaps etc, would these be comparable looks wise to what was fitted previously?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...278201&hash=item2888585b99:g:yNcAAOSwuLZY2-7X

Appreciate the help

:thumb:

Hi Ollie,

Sorry for the delay, I've been hit with a dose of man-flu and been in bed for 2 days.

There are 2 types of 996 skirts, Mk1 and Mk2 and they're known as GT3 or Aerokit. Same thing.
The Mk1 skirts are the more bulbous, curved ones.

The Mk2 skirts are pointier and have that upswept swage line along its length.

Maybe not the best pics to be honest. If you google Mk1 or Mk2 GT3s you'll see better.

And yeah I agree with you, that given the cars purpose, copy ones should be fine, just ask the seller if they use the same mounting points underneath. The top edge is simply double-sided taped on.

I've had copy ones that fit better than genuine ones. Hopefully you'll get lucky.

That listing you've linked to shows both types of skirts so just check what ones you're getting. :thumb:

Car is very cool 8)

Is the exhaust the original Cup system? I thought they had entire exits, or is there various specs?

Very nice, I hadn't realised that was your car. I was asking Matt about the light holes in the bonnet when I was last there. Mine is the polar silver turbo on the far ramp.

MC

Saw this car the other week while mine was having some gearbox work done, looks a great car, enjoy! 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back