Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2009 GTS windows misting up - solved

Matrixxxx

Trainee
Found out why my widows were fogging up in heavy rain.

It was the front bulkhead drains blocked, I had checked them when it was dry, and couldn't feel a blockage, but last night after checking the carpets and sunroof , I couldn't find the issue then looked under the top bulkhead covers and found water about 3" deep, loosened the top of the wheel liners and poked my finger in the drain and got about a gallon of water out of each side.
the trapped water was heating up from the engine, as the air intake is in the same section it was drawing in hot damp air , the give away was it suddenly getting worse turning a corner.

A simple test is pour water in the area under the windscreen wipers, it should pour straight out. 8)

It's been an achilles heel on these cars since they first came out im afraid..

A/C pipe n/s footwell is another .. it can become detached .

Post about the drains here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=136125

As mentioned in this post .. don't do this on a ramp with you underneath it as a gallon or so of water in your face isn't pleasant .. ask me how i know :D

Top job though and another fix .. you must be running out of problems by now surely ???

Just the new coil packs to fit.

Then I can start detailing it.

looking for some winter wheels as well. still getting used to it, just need try to stop pressing the sport button, who needs a stereo when you have a 4.8L V8, and a good exhaust.

just to add, it still mists up in very heavy rain after turning hard left , checked no water in the bulkhead. must be something to do with water around the AC condenser.
also in heavy rain the hesitation gets worse. will need to check under the ignition module which looks like it is directly under the water drain off for the windscreen, for extra cooling?

I need a picture to what you are talking about as there is no separate ign control unit .. i think you mean the dme which controls everything engine related .. it is o/s/f and under the plastic cover over the brake reservoir .

Trust me this is well insulated against water ingress and won't cause an issue .

it's possible due to the shear amount of foam under the carpets that when damp due to a previous leak that this is the cause of the misting .. they basically don't dry out unless removed .

my hunch .. the a/c has a drain n/s/f footwell and its a large grommet .. this can become detached and allow water to enter .. you have to get the passenger side carpet at the front up to check it .

basing this on a gen 1 cayenne though as i've not yet had issues with a gen 2 .

checked the drains again, the passenger side had a leaf in it , so now both rubber grommets removed, the water must build up In heavy rain and when turning left must flow into the hot bulkhead and be like a mini sauna, straight into the cabin.

Today 5 deg C and torrential rain no hint of misting. :D

Well.. 99% free of misting , but had to do an emergency stop the other day and the windows misted up, could it be the sunroof water moving to the front? other than the verbal abuse to the other driver overtaking a parked van on a blind corner on a country lane.

haven't check the sill bungs yet, are they under the plastic trim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back