Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbiie looking for a first 993 [Repost from Newbie forum]

jamesjwood

Hello there,
Reposting here from Newbie forum:

I am looking for a <£40k 993 cab or targa, ideally in black on black or dark grey exterior, which has been loved and looked after. I'm not worried about external niggles as I will be buying this car to drive but it needs to be mechanically sound. I have seen the one listed on the Sales page here as well as one in Leeds but if you know of anyone thinking of selling then please let me know.
Thanks!!

Hi

Personally I would much prefer the Targa as long as the roof works perfectly. Having said that I also prefer Tiptronics, and have only ever owned coupes, so my opinion may not be representative!

Best of luck!

Berni

nickjonesn4 said:
AP90 said:
Here you go

good mileage, variorum and sports seats..........black

May be worth a look

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...es-great-example--37-950/9832334#&gid=1&pid=7

EDIT: Oops, sorry I just took a proper read through..........cat D!!

depends what the cat d was for really. if the OP is looking for a car to drive rather than appreciate then this could be a good option

Yes indeed, if I were considering it long term it seems like a good buy

Interesting thinking on the market value of a CAT D Porsche relative to personal evaluation, though it is perhaps worth examining a little closer...?

Seems possible if not probable that a rather large number of old Porsches will have had repair processes carried out on them, whether as the result of structural corrosion or accident damage, the latter may or may not have been recorded by an Insurance company.

Like it or not it seems despite excellent corrosion resistance, by now even a Porsche as late as a 993 can suffer a degree of structural corrosion, as to evaluation of the repair process..hmm.. that can be much more difficult than you might imagine, even for a so called expert..? Much depends on the actual repair process carried out, which can either be a full panel/box section replacement, or just a patch welded in... and the process utilised IF correctly identified might affect financial evaluation..?

AN MOT certificate is no guarantee against a patchwork Porsche... and a patched up Porsche can be a real fun car to own... though it`s designed-in crumple zones may well fail to perform as expected, but then that could well be the case in just about any elderly sports car..?

Not sure that you are allowed to put your personal reg on a CAT defined car..? How that might affect it`s value in time...?

Personal requirements relative to the financial value of a car and maintenance of that value over time... hmm...? I suspect there may be few who buy a Porsche and care not a jot as to it`s value retention, though there will be others who hope their car has investment potential in terms of it`s value retention.. With a CAT identity, I suspect there will ever be more risk in the marketplace should the time come to move on for whatever reason..?

Looking at those poor UK folk who have suffered flood damage on TV.... Over the years, it would seem that a few Porsches might have gone for an untended swim in recent years, apparently flood damage cars are defined by Insurance companies as total write off`s for fear of sewerage contamination amongst other issues...hmm.. :?:

Thanks again everyone for the helpful messages. I had spotted but written off that one because of the Cat D status, maybe worth a closer look.

If anyone is interested I have done a little analysis of some (non-S) 993 sales data that I was able to trawl from auction sites as well as current pricing on Autotrader etc. This does not take into variation based on condition which is hard to check but interesting I think to see the average effect of milage on value. Interested in peoples opinion of how this fits with their experience. I have some data on how type (Targa/Cab/Coupe) effects value too if anyone is interested)

Attachments

• 993graph_200.png
    993graph_200.png
    309.6 KB · Views: 2,096
Graph looks spot on, I purchased my 94 Coupe in March this year at £39k with 107k on the clock.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back