Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone have 997 TSB 6416-Whistling Noise In The A-Pilla

v6matt

Silverstone
A noise that sounded like a kazoo started up when driving over 50 yesterday.

I tried cleaning out dead leaves e.t.c but no change, then I came across a thread on another forum that said this...

"Sometimes at speeds 60mph and higher, there would be a kazoo noise coming from the passenger side windsheild at what I thought was the dash/side view mirror area. I looked at everything in the area, removing panels ect. and nothing fixed it. I looked at TSB 6416 but didn't think much about it because it showed the area in question was at the top of the windshield.

One day I was looking around again, and sure enough, the seal around the windshield was loose on the passanger side up high (side of the windshield, not top). I purchased some butyl tape (per TSB) off Amazon.com, 1/4" round 3M, and followed the TSB installation and I can say now the noise has gone away.

It was very annoying and I even took the car into the dealer, but of course they couldn't duplicate the noise."

I think it's time for a Porsche fix, I have found the 6mm Butyl rope from 3M (called 3Mâ„¢ Scotch-Weldâ„¢ Preformed Sealant Strip 5313)

However I want to look at "TSB 6416 Whistling Noise In The A-Pillar Area At High Speed" to see how/where I apply.

Has anyone got a copy, can point me in the direction of where one lives.

I dont have the TSB im afraid and cant get it ..

Wind noises though are often caused by a sharp edge .. similar to getting a blade of grass .. holding in between your thumbs and blowing on it .. well .. that's what i did as a kid anyways .. no internet and only 3 tv stations back then lol .

Basically anything that stops a sharp edge will stop the noise .. perhaps silicone down the screen rubber if i understand the fault correctly .. that might stop it .

Picture of the fault area ?

try this :D

Attachments

• carrera_997_whistling_noise_in_the_a_pillar_area_at_high_speed_671.pdf
    77.1 KB · Views: 115
deMort said:
I dont have the TSB im afraid and cant get it ..

Wind noises though are often caused by a sharp edge .. similar to getting a blade of grass .. holding in between your thumbs and blowing on it .. well .. that's what i did as a kid anyways .. no internet and only 3 tv stations back then lol .

Basically anything that stops a sharp edge will stop the noise .. perhaps silicone down the screen rubber if i understand the fault correctly .. that might stop it .

Picture of the fault area ?

:D :D thanks for suggestion deMort. :thumb:

In terms of the location, that is the problem there isn't anything immediately apparent but based on that TSB that has seen been posted, it seems to be caused by wind pressure increasing at speed and then pushing on the screen.

Seemingly Porsche struggled with fitment at the factory, and mine has had a new screen since it came out and been subject to the recent super heat, so that has likely introduced this glitch (and undid Porsche's fix in the factory).

The butyl rope is thicker than required on the 993 and 996 fix.

Interesting find today, I put the passenger window down slightly on the car today and having dropped the window about 2 cm, the noise vanished !!

So I suspect I also need to look at the door/mirror seals. This was probably me when I pre-emptively applied Gummiphleger (Rubber reconditioner) to all the door seals e.t.c

I wonder if I disrupted something (somehow) in doing so. The joys of 911 window and mirror seals ! I thought my previous Alfa's were picky !

Anything to look for folk?

Thanks for this (love this forum!). I've had that squeal for a while, but since I rarely just schlep along motorways, I keep forgetting about it.

Now I have to add it to the list... :eek:

Here's something simple to check......

When you unlock the car both side windows drop few mm to facilitate the doors opening.
When you enter the car and close the door the window returns to the fully closed position.
I found that the passenger side was not returning (997 and this week my 991)

Once you have fired her up.......try the toggling the switch to see if the window rises.

Cause....low charge of the battery. As we are quickly getting into winter, batteries that are not fully charged get "found out" by the cold weather.

If you don't do many miles a week, it may be the case that you need to give it a 20+mile run and then have the battery checked.
A trickle charger may be a wise investment.

It is amazing how much noise just a few mm of lowered window can generate.

I hope this is the answer :thumb:

Rhodris-dad said:
Here's something simple to check......

When you unlock the car both side windows drop few mm to facilitate the doors opening.
When you enter the car and close the door the window returns to the fully closed position.
I found that the passenger side was not returning (997 and this week my 991)

Once you have fired her up.......try the toggling the switch to see if the window rises.

Cause....low charge of the battery. As we are quickly getting into winter, batteries that are not fully charged get "found out" by the cold weather.

If you don't do many miles a week, it may be the case that you need to give it a 20+mile run and then have the battery checked.
A trickle charger may be a wise investment.

It is amazing how much noise just a few mm of lowered window can generate.

I hope this is the answer :thumb:

Thanks, not the case on mine. I think with the extreme heat of the summer, it must have slightly distorted the windscreen rubber. So I used this TSB and have fixed one side, the other has been improved but I need to look at it again when it's not raining :/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back