Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild or replace?

Oh blimey 'O' it's not easy is it!?
Thanks so much for your thoughts, annoyingly, they all make sense!
To be honest, I'm leaning towards replacing but only for practical reasons, I find the 996 cabin really comfortable and I've got the car in fine fettle as I get any issues sorted sooner, rather than later. BUT finding the time to do these fettles is becoming an issue.
Maybe I should get a newer boxter for the mile munching, and keep Henry as a project car!?

Sh#t. That's a whole different scenario.

Stoddy. :dont know:

exactly. keep the 996, you're only gonna lose money replacing it.
get another car for a project.... :wink:

I'm in the rebuild camp. Driven a 997 to Le Mans and yes great car, cabin and torquey in the gears, which makes it lazy in my view as you can stay in 5th/6th all day. Also test drove a 992 C4, cabin even better and so responsive to the point it is too much power for British roads - need a track in the back yard to really appreciate its abilities. Got back in my 996 and the smile came back.

This is awesome stuff gents, does anyone know an approximate time scale for a full rebuild from someone like Hartec? Really appreciate the comments, sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture.

Stodd.

Tourist said:
Hertsdriver said:
Tourist said:
The 996 and 986 have an amazing fixed ratio steering rack. I think it feels more analogue and raw than the 9x7 series.

The 997 has the exact same rack as a 996....

The 997/987 has a variable ratio rack, it's not the same. IME, it feels dead near the centre compared to the 996/986.

No, its the exact same rack, same part number - no difference between a 996 and 997 rack

Stoddy said:
This is awesome stuff gents, does anyone know an approximate time scale for a full rebuild from someone like Hartec? Really appreciate the comments, sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture.

Stodd.

I'd bet they have anywhere up to 40 engines being built... I'd still hope it's weeks rather than months?

I've had both 996 and 997 and now back to 996 C4 for past 3 years. Just had the Hartech 3.9 upgrade. Interior refurb and currently at Centre Gravity having suspension refresh...needless to say its a keeper and hopefully will out live me after all that £££'s :)

I would start by making a sensible list of what would need done to bring Henry back to the condition you would like, and then a list of optional items (ie. full engine rebuild on a functional engine) that would feature in your ideal 996. I'm not sure what condition the car is in now but I would have thought if it needs a suspension refresh, some engine ancillaries, some paintwork and interior work, other miscellaneous jobs befitting a 167k 20 year old car then these could easily add up to £7-8-9-10k before you start getting into an engine rebuild. In that scenario I would have thought selling your can and putting the extra £7-10k into buying a VG+ lower mileage 996 or a 997.1 3.6 would be a better idea. Clearly this car may well require some work in time but I think it would be more cost effective than restoring your car. You would also have the pick of 996s at £15k+ so you would probably be able to get your preferred spec car, if that is important to you?

I'm not sure I'd be buying a 997.1 3.8 at the moment. Obviously a 997.2 car is coming into the upper end of your price bracket now too.

Hertsdriver said:
Tourist said:
Hertsdriver said:
Tourist said:
The 996 and 986 have an amazing fixed ratio steering rack. I think it feels more analogue and raw than the 9x7 series.

The 997/987 has a variable ratio rack, it's not the same. IME, it feels dead near the centre compared to the 996/986.

No, its the exact same rack, same part number - no difference between a 996 and 997 rack

It doesn't have the same "teeth" (fixed ratio vs variable ratio - different spacing of teeth).

I'm not convinced the part number is the same:

997 347 011 06

996 347 011 06

The change was one of the first things the motoring press picked up on when the 997 was launched.

Tourist said:
Hertsdriver said:
Tourist said:
Hertsdriver said:
Tourist said:

It doesn't have the same "teeth" (fixed ratio vs variable ratio - different spacing of teeth).

I'm not convinced the part number is the same:

997 347 011 06

996 347 011 06

The change was one of the first things the motoring press picked up on when the 997 was launched.

This test references the variable ratio rack...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-revie...irst-drives/porsche-911-carrera-s-2004-review

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back