Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 PCM having a SpAzz... thoughts please?

Kiwi

Nurburgring
Just fitted a new battery and immediately this occurs... tried disconnecting battery again and leaving it off, even touched the 2 terminals together when disconnected. Fault reader sees nothing, reset anything I felt might affect it and still no joy. Before biffing it out and replacing it I thought I'd ask the very wise and knowledgeable folks here their thoughts...

And in case it's not obvious, I'm not referring to the phone error (I know what that is), just the weird screen squishy overlap thingy :thumbs:

Attachments

• 10a10d81_7963_45b9_801f_3e62a48ee8b8_595.jpeg
    10a10d81_7963_45b9_801f_3e62a48ee8b8_595.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 3,034
I can give you the details of a PCM repairer in the UK but its a long way to ship it unless you dont have anyone down under that can do it . :thumb: :thumb:

2 things i would try before binning it ..

Take the unit out and leave it unplugged overnight .. capacitor discharge over a long period of time .

With a tester then do a vehicle handover ..

i doubt either will work due to the fault but that's pretty much all you can do .

It's pretty old so a company refurbing will probably get it working but there are far better units out there to replace it with .

Don`t be in too much of a rush to bin the PCM, my PCM 2.1 threw a wobbler in my 987 Boxster not last Christmas but the one before, it refused to turn off when you pulled the key out of the the ignition and locked the car, it just sat there displaying the Porsche boot screen, after about 20 attempts of putting the key in the ignition, removing it, then locking the car it finally turned off.
It has never played up since :dont know:

These 987/997 Porsches can do wierd things when you remove the battery, I`m adamant that my frunk/boot lights, footwell lights and headlight washers stopped working after I swapped the battery for a new one.

Luckily for me a visit to deMort at an open day at his workplace sorted mine with a PIWIS handover reset :grin:

Thanks again Iain :thumbs:

kurlykris said:
These 987/997 Porsches can do weird things when you remove the battery, I`m adamant that my frunk/boot lights, footwell lights and headlight washers stopped working after I swapped the battery for a new one.

Bless you and you are totally correct .. a battery disconnect can on the occasional car cause issues .. rare but it happens .

Seat heating inop , headlight washers inop are the main 2 items and we do a vehicle handover to get them working .

This in a nutshell .. when the cars are shipped from new then many functions are turned off .. production mode / transport mode ..
( even the speed is limited ) .. we wake them up and reset everything with a handover .. stops flat batterys on the trip by boat and reckless drivers i guess .

A battery disconnect can at times put a few control units back into production / transport mode .

A pcm fault like this .. a bit strange but leaving it powered down and a handover is all you can really do .. you can send it off for repair , probably not cheap and you are still left with an old outdated unit ..

If no OCD then a replacement is best imho .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back