Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation in rear lights .. is there a fix ?

Drilling a few small holes in the rear cover of the 997.2 rears does help them breathe. Does not stop Condensation, but it clears a lot quicker.

Windy101 said:
Drilling a few small holes in the rear cover of the 997.2 rears does help them breathe. Does not stop Condensation, but it clears a lot quicker.

Thanks!! Will give that a go..

On my 930 took a fishtank air pipe T from the fan housing and ran a pipe to each rear light unit and drilled a second hole in the back of them and never had any issue again. I know there is no compatible fan in the 997 but I would have thought something similar could be worked out? Maybe using engine heat and a small computer fan or similar? Luckily, I don't seem to have this issue with the Dectanes. ( fingers crossed, touch wood etc. :) )

Update: Light out, stripped and drying

Hi -

So I have taken the lights out (very easy as per online instructions - 2x T25 screws). Both look in very good condition, but both have the same amount of condensation in (see pic). To split the lights you need a T20 bit and some gentle teasing and the housing comes apart (there is one traditional bulb in each so I assume this is for changing that bulb).

I noted the rubber/fabric seal is naturally very compressed and in the vertical edges where the screws attach to the bodywork I saw dry dirt that was through the seal. So perhaps the base inside edges of the lights get the most water flow here (run-off) and also need the most focus.

I have cleaned the lights and they are drying. I also cleaned the housings within the body work (see pic)..

On one, I have drilled two holes in places I chose that have very little chance of water ingress. I will see how this does over time and will keep the other original experiment. I cleaned the seal and have taken real time to put this back in such a way to not allow any gaps.

Let's see..

Attachments

• img_4176_147.jpg
    img_4176_147.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,773
  • img_4177_176.jpg
    img_4177_176.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,773
  • img_4178_172.jpg
    img_4178_172.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,773
  • img_4180_932.jpg
    img_4180_932.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,773
  • img_4184_200.jpg
    img_4184_200.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,773
  • img_4186_209.jpg
    img_4186_209.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,773
I am impressed you got the lens off the housing , I will watch thins thread to updates on how you get on over time :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
I am impressed you got the lens off the housing , I will watch thins thread to updates on how you get on over time :thumb:

Hi - it's not the lens (this is bonded). The back cover comes off with screws..

The rear lens can be separated with a heat gun and interior trim removal tools, in the same way you would with the headlight lenses. But not necessary for the task above. Great work

M5sime said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi - it's not the lens (this is bonded). The back cover comes off with screws..

Ah that makes sense :thumb: but also interesting to note that a heat gun and trim tool will get the lens off . :thumb:

hopeydaze said:
What size holes are y'all drilling?

I did two in the underside of the casing and used something like a 6 or 7 MM drill bit (it was in my dewalt and I didn't bother changing it). Small enough I can re seal of needed.

Back to square one

So to update this thread. I put the lights back together after days of drying and meticulously sealed the back with the original rubber gasket. I drove the car this weekend in pretty foul rain and both lights are equally fogged up in the centre section. I will monitor and see if my two holes on one light unit do anything to help clear the condensation. I'm not entirely sure where the dampness gets in.

Rather disappointed to see that it made no difference splitting and re- sealing

🧐

I think although i'm not sure that the leak on these was due in most cases to the clear lens seperating from the rest of the lens .. i've always assumed they are made separate and then bonded together .

It rings a bell from my OPC days anyways .

To prove .. hmm .. sellotape over the clear lens edges and see if it still gets wet is all i can think of.

deMort said:
I think although i'm not sure that the leak on these was due in most cases to the clear lens seperating from the rest of the lens .. i've always assumed they are made separate and then bonded together .

It rings a bell from my OPC days anyways .

To prove .. hmm .. sellotape over the clear lens edges and see if it still gets wet is all i can think of.

Hi thanks ! I'll take another look but pretty sure they are just one outer cover as I have both a hand polish to remove swirls and didn't feel or see any boundary line. I may try some silicon beading on the lens and body join (not the rear cover as this needs to be removable).

I have read* that the joint between clear and red sections is where water ingress occurs. *(on the internet, so it must be true!)

I would forget silicon and just get some ppf applied over the whole lens face. (In addition to the drain holes)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back