Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stiff knob in Boxster 2.7 986

MarkGolf

Sao Paulo
Ohhh err.... it's true, you read it right..

In my Boxster 986 2.7, the knob is stiff when going side to side, it has one of those cheapo short shift kits but even after loosening it and eventually undoing the linkages, the actual linkage feels stiff. This led me to go and coat everything at the gearbox end in WD40 while someone was pulling the linkage, still stiff..

Any ideas what's up?

I am due to change the gearbox fluid this week, I doubt that will change anything but just mentioning.

Cheers

Mark it could be a number of things, have you got the original shifter kit you could refit and try at least that way you can establish if its the cheapo SSK or something else . :thumb:

I had to read this twice :eek: as I thought it would concern Jonttt stroking all that carbonique.

Then I realised he has a 987.2 'Last of the true Authentic Breed Boxster' :roll:

Could it be the rubber gaiter perishing :?:

Sounds like a stiff selector rail. :dont know:

Oil change may help.

My guess would be the cable .. they can partially seize .. it should with both ends disconnected move like silk .

Again with the cable disconnected the gear lever should move easily .

This is normally a Tip problem and as such its the linkage or a tight bolt on the lever but both of those are not really applicable to a manual .

i have had x1 tip which was the cable though .

One of those jobs i need to look at to say whats wrong im afraid .. sorry .

Alex said:
Sounds like a stiff selector rail. :dont know:

Oil change may help.

Yeah, without removing the undertray and getting my hand on that bit without the cable attached, I can't be sure but I think i'll get the 'box fluid done and go from there..

:thumb:

Cheers Iain, I'll do my fluid change and if it doesn't loosen up, I'll detach the side-side cable from the box end and see how it feels! Something is sticking, I can move the gear knob to the left and 70% of the time, it just stays there, it doesn't spring back..

Just to update,

Did a fluid change on the box, oil stuff out, was like a black coffee, runny as fcku too.

New stuff in, Catrol Syntrax transaxle 75/90. Had to go for an 45 minute drive last night and used it again to go in to the office today, box instantly felt better, knob is springing back, actually goes into gear much smoother and I'm almost certain the car itself feels smoother when pulling away and accelerating, almost cushioned..

Easy job :)

Cheers all!

MarkGolf said:
Just to update,

Did a fluid change on the box, oil stuff out, was like a black coffee, runny as fcku too.

New stuff in, Catrol Syntrax transaxle 75/90. Had to go for an 45 minute drive last night and used it again to go in to the office today, box instantly felt better, knob is springing back, actually goes into gear much smoother and I'm almost certain the car itself feels smoother when pulling away and accelerating, almost cushioned..

Easy job :)

Cheers all!

Always good to read a fix that was easy and inexpensive :thumb: :thumb:

Enough about the driver, tell us about the car....

wasz said:
maybe too late but there is a magnet in the box just next to the drain, stick your finger in and wipe round to clear the accumulated debris off it

actually that might only apply to an "S" or 996 with getrag box

Mine didn't have one so my mechanic fit one to the drain plug. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back