Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camel's Porsche 993 Targa Project

Targa

Camel - Did you get the roof off ok? Did you replace the black trims that run against the glass? I'm midway through getting the roof off and bedating whether the to take the main sliding window out before I remove the roof or to try once it's out.

Hi there, yes I got the roof off, bit of a struggle and you need the right kit. Have you got the appropriate part of the workshop manual?, it goes through the removal process in detail.

You've got to be super careful esp if you're keeping the rear quarters (mine were being replaced so not such as issue for me).

You will need to remove the big centre glass first which is easy enough.

Yes I replaced the two black plastic strips that run down either side, that also is not an easy job. In fact I have a pair up for sale if you're interested. I replaced mine with new but to be honest I could have easily got away with not doing.

I replaced every seal on the Targa roof, what is it that you're trying to fix?, let me know if I can help in any way, it's a tough process and a steep learning curve but kudos for having a go, most don't.

Trev

Targa Roof Removal

Trev,

Thanks for the reply, my car is going to get a full respray and the front wind deflector wasn't working correctly....the overall quote to remove repair and respray seemed a lot of cash.

I'm reasonably handy so thought I'd try and fix the deflector, which I managed to do by removing the mechanical lifter mech with the roof in situ....this has given the confidence to get the roof off which is required to fix rust around top of a pillar and some where targa roof meets body on rear quarter.

So I need to get the black trim out that runs next to the glass, can you pull it out and reinsert without having to remove the bonded rear screen?

I'll remove the top panel, and all the bolts are off the roof to body mounts and I've cut round the roof join with a multicutter as per the workshop removal instruction. I'm now about to use windscreen removal wire to cut through the sealant I cant get to with multi cutter and hopefully the roof should come off?

I want to replace the drive cables, should the roof be in closed position, with glass out, to do this? Are there instructions available on how to replace these?

Re: Targa Roof Removal

Well if you're removing the roof it's an ideal opportunity to sort everything out, you'll want to replace most of the seals in the roof, the large one that runs along the top of the windscreen, all the seals around the moving glass, etc etc.

Yes you can slide the cover strips out without removing the rear screen but it is tight, you might want to purchase a trestle table to put the roof on when removed, it's bulky and heavy and you want to be very careful with it.

Also ensure you clean and lube it appropriately, the manual should tell you how to replace the drive cables, if you can't find it let me know and I'll see what I have on that topic.

Pls take some pics and post as you go.

Trev

shootetm said:
Trev,

Thanks for the reply, my car is going to get a full respray and the front wind deflector wasn't working correctly....the overall quote to remove repair and respray seemed a lot of cash.

I'm reasonably handy so thought I'd try and fix the deflector, which I managed to do by removing the mechanical lifter mech with the roof in situ....this has given the confidence to get the roof off which is required to fix rust around top of a pillar and some where targa roof meets body on rear quarter.

So I need to get the black trim out that runs next to the glass, can you pull it out and reinsert without having to remove the bonded rear screen?

I'll remove the top panel, and all the bolts are off the roof to body mounts and I've cut round the roof join with a multicutter as per the workshop removal instruction. I'm now about to use windscreen removal wire to cut through the sealant I cant get to with multi cutter and hopefully the roof should come off?

I want to replace the drive cables, should the roof be in closed position, with glass out, to do this? Are there instructions available on how to replace these?

Targa roof off and going back on

Well, during COVID the car got resprayed and I have just about reassembled the roof. I have reinstalled it without sealing and tested the motors move the cables and in the next week I will be doing the roof fit and seal with the Porsche 2 part sealant. Replaced most things and found out some interesting nuances.

One thing I am currently comtemplating is which way round does the rear roof to body seal go and the two metal shims that secure it? There are holes in the shim and body so wondering if they should be poprivted to the body like the side seals.

Attachments

• rear_seal_and_shim_153.jpg
    rear_seal_and_shim_153.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,729
Roof Off

Attached photo shows my DIYer targa lifting mechanism....only problem I have now found is I need to get side windows in and will have to change how to fit attachment

Attachments

• targa_roof_lifting_179.jpg
    targa_roof_lifting_179.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,714

Attachments

• img_3253_zpsvkyjj1gh_347.jpg
    img_3253_zpsvkyjj1gh_347.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,675
Trim Retainers

DeMort - Thanks for post, I hadn't realised there is also a retaining trim along the rear aswell as the sides so thanks for the photo - I will get that ordered (I think it's part 993562517 #22/811-01). The photo has also helped clarify the orientation of the side window trim clips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back