Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 - Rear creaking noises

Roro

Seven years after the infamous front suspension creaking noises thread, I have developed a new creak! Sounds like creaky hinges on an old door

I should make an audio/video clip and post up, but to summarise -

- Sound is at the rear of the car
- Originally I suspected my aftermarket cage (fitted many years ago) but why would the creak suddenly start now if it was related to that?
- Cold/warm car doesn't matter, the noise is there from the off
- Roads don't need to be particularly bumpy to hear the creaking noises
- It seems to have been getting louder over time, I must have first noticed a faint noise a couple of months ago, which has steadily got louder over time
- Seems to be audible inside the car only - I had the missus drive the car up and down the driveway slowly and walked after the car, she could hear the noise inside, but I couldn't hear anything on the outside (maybe the engine/exhaust noise drowns out the exterior noise...)
- Today I went out on a drive and the noise was there, then suddenly it vanished while I was driving down a mildly bumpy road - but then a couple miles later the noise reappeared

I'm stumped
:dont know:

Any ideas what it might be? Taking the car to see someone locally tomorrow to hopefully diagnose the issue

Cage, 100%

My 996 started doing it a few months ago after many years of total silence. Loosening off all the bolts & re-tightening has restored silence on the road. I can still provoke a bit of a creak on track but that falls under "because race car" :D

Mr. Ramsay! Thanks. I'm hoping that's all it is. Now I think about it... I had removed the diagonal bar a few years back (to make it easier to load weekend away bags in the rear), and then re-fitted it a few months back. Maybe that has set everything off. Will see what Tognola say tomorrow, and then on the weekend I'll loosen and retighten the cage as suggested and see if that works :thumb:

I've got the kit to attach up to 6 switchable microphones to various bits of the car. You wear headphones while driving and it allows you to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Give me a call if you need to borrow it :thumb:

Uncle Nick! You were right, it was the cage :D

I took the car to the local garage as mentioned, who put it up on the ramp, looked at the rear springs and said the noise was coming from one of the springs which was broken. I took a pic, attached. I wasn't convinced though, to me the area marked out on the pic is just where the plastic covering the spring has cracked but not the spring itself

So anyway, I got home, loosened the cage bolts and then tightened them up again, and hey presto the creek is almost completely gone

I would've been a little annoyed at spending almost 1k replacing two springs and then still having to deal with the creaky noises. Never mind though, all sorted now :thumb:

(Although there is the possibility that I do also coincidentally have a broken spring - any thoughts on that from looking at the pic? Car seems to handle fine, on road anyway)

Attachments

• b0f86f02_2abb_44f4_b53d_9a7d2f14ceea_205.jpeg
    b0f86f02_2abb_44f4_b53d_9a7d2f14ceea_205.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,520
Definitely not broken. A broken spring would result in the car being lower on that corner in any case.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back