Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help needed on restoration

NedHan79

Just a small question. I want to cut off the studs that hold all the wheel arch liners, trays under the floor and brackets that hold brake pipes etc. The original ones are well past their best and I want to cut them off and weld on new ones. I have done a major amount of welding to the sills and arches and I want to finish off all the small details before I finish the chassis work.

Can these be got or is it simply a matter of cutting some screws and welding them on?

Like these

Attachments

• 070a765b_acc8_46db_8a98_3f5b767d144b_555.jpeg
    070a765b_acc8_46db_8a98_3f5b767d144b_555.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2,214
I'm sure I saw a post on here or a Porsche facebook group where someone had done this.

They'd cut off the old ones then tacked or glued sOme screws with the same thread pattern and diameter to the body using the flat screw head as the base for the weld or glue. Not sure how you search for it though. It looked decent when done so could be the easiest option rather than finding new studs.

Thanks kbald. That's just what I wanted to know

I would be tempted to cut them off with at little damage to the galvanised sheet metal (ideally none) and then glue on new bolts to minimise future corrosion

TBH I would not worry about retaining the integrity of the original galvanized layer if the sills have had major weld work done. The welds will always be the first spots for rust and proper rust protection treatment is required all around.

I have the same problem. I was going to bond on some of these with structural epoxy, but I may change my mind and have them welded on by my local welding place, as they're only a few hundred yards away and are super cheap and high quality.
mild-steel-threaded-stud-bonding-fasteners-30mm-square_1.jpg

Whatever you go for, make sure you go stainless so they last.

I'm starting to think stainless screws on a small plate, say 10mmx10mm and weld it on. I have 1 that has caused a rotten patch so I'll have to sort that anyway. Compared to what I have done, it's a very simple job.

I wouldn't be keen on glueing of any sort. It'd have to be welded for me but I can easily do that myself.

The patch needed under the passenger seat. I have it all cleaned back and won't need much bigger than a 50p sized patch

Attachments

• 10dea751_8197_429f_9160_208bb816a74b_109.jpeg
    10dea751_8197_429f_9160_208bb816a74b_109.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,053
Martin996RSR said:
I have the same problem. I was going to bond on some of these with structural epoxy, but I may change my mind and have them welded on by my local welding place, as they're only a few hundred yards away and are super cheap and high quality.
mild-steel-threaded-stud-bonding-fasteners-30mm-square_1.jpg

Whatever you go for, make sure you go stainless so they last.

I need to do this too. Do you have a link for those?

Contact Peter Robinson at 9meister - I got some of the original weld on type last year

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back