Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vmax 9ff 911 Turbo 1800HP Crash

116618LN said:
I disagree, to ask you to emergency brake from over 200mph is stupid. The braking distance is definitely too short.

Yes you can brake from 210mph, but not safely.

Correct - you have to feather the pedal to brush off the velocity otherwise you load up the front of a 911 too much which totally screws up the back end to such an extent that your underpants could rapidly turn a shade of brown at high speed.

There is enough braking if you know what you are doing - yes not as much area as at brunters but plenty enough. Here is braking from one of our 9e cars at 227gps (mph) in the wet ! You could certainly do it in 450metres in the dry without sweat.

The guy screwed up / he didn't brake at the right point and hard enough and zero reason to waste time putting it into neutral. Totally his fault.

The technique is to firmly hit the pedal for a few seconds to scrub off the main speed and keep control and then release slightly, whilst still applying pressure, and then back on again - you never continue to apply more and more pressure. You can see this in the negative g force in the image.

Ken

Attachments

• a385e4da_60ce_457f_9843_437bfa831d74_454.png
    a385e4da_60ce_457f_9843_437bfa831d74_454.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 3,220
The average participant at vmax does not know what they are doing, and it is usually their first time at any speed like that. Apparently myself included lol.

116618LN said:
The average participant at vmax does not know what they are doing, and it is usually their first time at any speed like that. Apparently myself included lol.

Which is why Craig tells people to not go balls out first run / build up gradually. This guy didn't. He should have gone though at 200 first and braked to make sure the distance.

The braking technique is something we practiced and learnt at brunters over hundreds and hundreds of laps. Don't come off the throttle and slam on the brakes but do get on the brakes quickly and firmly - it is a lot easier to brake hard from 150mph against 230mph, hence scrub off the high speed first.

What I have seen even sitting with customers is the inability to recognise that you are still doing 100mph and the bend is coming - that is simply down to 100 feels stationery compared to 200 that you were doing a few seconds before and the adrenaline is still high.

I think the phrase is " all the gear and no idea " :grin:

Quite why you would put the 911 in Neutral at that speed and then get on the brakes late with a bend looming is beyond me :dont know:

116618LN said:
Having also been there, and being told by the organiser in front of everyone at the brief to hard brake almost like an emergency stop is ridiculous. Everyone moaned about the braking distance.

Building up the speed throughout the day and still finding it hard to stop.

Vmax at 210mph running R888R with upgraded brake fluid in my 997.

I decided not to run any higher boost due to stopping issues. Will not attend again.

q7134Wa.jpg

i agree. Simply not enough safety margin especially for a very heavy GTR which is close to two tonnes doing 240mph. Do the maths/physics no chance he is stopping even in the dry. On day I went off it was raining and very cold. Of course there will be driver error from time to time or even brake failure. The runway is certainly not a constant. Rain obviously makes a massive difference too for the drivers in terms of increased braking distance and wind can effect top speed up to 10mph which therefor has an effect on braking distance. Even when you run 210 compared to 200 you need significantly more braking distance. In rain Craig specifically asked us to emergency brake on that wet freezing cold morning in March 2018. My car sometimes runs 200mph and braking on the days is a breeze. At 240mph frankly its dangerous and at best you are 50/50 in some of the big heavier cars like GTR and 911 turbo. I think me and car 55 had bit of fun on the way back to London in June - hello! you car is very fast and wise not to run on high boost - gave me a good lesson in difference between GT turbos and VTGs ;)

The organisers are very nice people (all of them fantastic) at VMAX but they'll continue to have offs at Kendrew on wet days or with the very fast cars. The supra that ran 230mph on our day had a parachute. He needed it... :grin:

This the same outfit that produced the original strange looking 9ff I take it?!

IMI A said:
116618LN said:
Having also been there, and being told by the organiser in front of everyone at the brief to hard brake almost like an emergency stop is ridiculous. Everyone moaned about the braking distance.

Building up the speed throughout the day and still finding it hard to stop.

Vmax at 210mph running R888R with upgraded brake fluid in my 997.

I decided not to run any higher boost due to stopping issues. Will not attend again.

q7134Wa.jpg

i agree. Simply not enough safety margin especially for a very heavy GTR which is close to two tonnes doing 240mph. Do the maths/physics no chance he is stopping even in the dry. On day I went off it was raining and very cold. Of course there will be driver error from time to time or even brake failure. The runway is certainly not a constant. Rain obviously makes a massive difference too for the drivers in terms of increased braking distance and wind can effect top speed up to 10mph which therefor has an effect on braking distance. Even when you run 210 compared to 200 you need significantly more braking distance. In rain Craig specifically asked us to emergency brake on that wet freezing cold morning in March 2018. My car sometimes runs 200mph and braking on the days is a breeze. At 240mph frankly its dangerous and at best you are 50/50 in some of the big heavier cars like GTR and 911 turbo. I think me and car 55 had bit of fun on the way back to London in June - hello! you car is very fast and wise not to run on high boost - gave me a good lesson in difference between GT turbos and VTGs ;)

The organisers are very nice people (all of them fantastic) at VMAX but they'll continue to have offs at Kendrew on wet days or with the very fast cars. The supra that ran 230mph on our day had a parachute. He needed it... :grin:

Hey! had more fun on the way home than I did at the event :D

Ill probably be back if I get some ceramics or they lengthen the brake zone lol

Hi Ken, , , remember when i had my first run with you as a passenger ?

It want a little sideways i remember and it also went very quiet for a moment !!!

Still had a great day

FRP said:

It want a little sideways i remember and it also went very quiet for a moment !!!

Still had a great day
:grin:

The bottom line is that the car in question could have braked in time if the driver was sensible.

I do think, that to avoid such incidents in the future that the event would be better served with running as a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile measured event. Nothing to do with the braking area, just it would eliminate someone like this driver turning up and doing the same.

The last thing we want is to not have the Vmax facility.

Ken

996ttalot said:
FRP said:

Still had a great day
:grin:

The bottom line is that the car in question could have braked in time if the driver was sensible.

I do think, that to avoid such incidents in the future that the event would be better served with running as a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile measured event. Nothing to do with the braking area, just it would eliminate someone like this driver turning up and doing the same.

The last thing we want is to not have the Vmax facility.

Ken

Get a frkkin parachute boys :D

Anyone running at terminal velocity in a couple of weeks time?

The return of Marty Wild said:
IMI A said:
The return of Marty Wild said:
This the same outfit that produced the original strange looking 9ff I take it?!

Yes. It also crashed at Bruntingthorpe at VMAX event in 2010!

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/251362/9ff_gt9r_crash.html

That's the one, how comes they had the bodywork so radically different on their first car but now run normal looking shells?!

I think 9ff maybe went bust on the back of that top speed car venture back in 2010. This is 9ff 2. Felt bad for the guy that crashed. He must have had at least £200,000-£300,000 of mods. Saw the car in the flesh before crash and all the work was executed top quality. The car really had the x factor even next to things like 720s. Looked like a Ring refugee. The car is taken to competitions on drag strip and track all over Europe.

Heres a vid of it at other event. His 100 kph to 300 kph is 8 secs. I do same yardstick in 18 secs on race fuel and the car feels v.quick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back