Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vmax 9ff 911 Turbo 1800HP Crash

Due to short braking area rather than crap driving, IF that is what you guys mean by strange :sad:

Poor car :nooo:

Hope they build a bigger and better one soon :thumb:

HSC911 said:
Due to short braking area rather than crap driving, IF that is what you guys mean by strange :sad:
Depends on your definition of crap driving I guess - I'm not sure I'd want to try for vmax without knowing how much room I have.

HSC911 said:
Hope they build a bigger and better one soon :thumb:
And have a closer look at stopping distances required before a run.

The vid states that 530m braking zone is too short to slow down from 270kph. Similarly (or not) my 20m long driveway is too short to slow down from 70mph which is why (among other reasons) I don't enter my driveway at 70mph.

squelch said:
The vid states that 530m braking zone is too short to slow down from 270kph. Similarly (or not) my 20m long driveway is too short to slow down from 70mph which is why (among other reasons) I don't enter my driveway at 70mph.

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

I love the way they tape everything up and. 250lb Guy then gets in. Just swap him out with a 150lb guy and bobs ya uncle - yiu can brake

HSC911 said:
Due to short braking area rather than crap driving

Plenty of other guys managed to stop just fine, if you watch the video he goes past the finish markers, pops it in neutral, coasts a bit then brakes and attempts to corner while still in neutral... All of this without doing a build up run first to check braking distances etc. In this instance it's 100% driver error.

AdeD said:
HSC911 said:
Due to short braking area rather than crap driving

Plenty of other guys managed to stop just fine, if you watch the video he goes past the finish markers, pops it in neutral, coasts a bit then brakes and attempts to corner while still in neutral... All of this without doing a build up run first to check braking distances etc. In this instance it's 100% driver error.

Good assessment :judge:

Completely agree. 100% driver error. My old 996 stopped no problem. Ideally they could do with more run off for added safety but I could easily slow my car from 215mph at the brake boards to a sensible cornering speed in 2/3 of the braking area.

I disagree, to ask you to emergency brake from over 200mph is stupid. The braking distance is definitely too short.

Yes you can brake from 210mph, but not safely.

116618LN said:
I disagree, to ask you to emergency brake from over 200mph is stupid. The braking distance is definitely too short.

That is of course an absurd statement. Nobody is asking anybody to "emergency brake" - simply there is a course of finite length to be negotiated and the driver has to do so within the capabilities of the car. More to the point - if the car is unsafe to brake from any given speed that it is able to reach then that is an unsafe design compromise in the car, not a factor of the course. For example, a GT2RS can drop the anchor as hard as you like from any speed that it can reach whereas something like an old Nissan 200SX really cannot. As such it fundamentally becomes a task for the driver to mitigate and risk manage.

If the driver is competent then they will assess how much space that the car they are driving needs to stop and make sure that they bring their speed down in plenty of time. Especially on a first run. If you have built (or commissioned) a car that needs to coast before you can drop the anchor (such as something with uneven aerodynamic balance, incorrect brake bias or inappropriate suspension characteristics) then it falls to driver competence to shut down with enough space to decelerate safely.

The course is a constant, not a variable. Consequently running out of road can only ever be driver error. It is not like he came round a blind bend to find it freshly laid with hailstones half way around (yeah - I know someone that happened to). :judge:

:oops:

270kmh is only 167mph :eek:

so half a km is quite a lot of tarmac :drive:

Someone
bdsm.gif
me :sad:

116618LN said:

Thing is having been there I can tell you it's not an emergency brake from higher speeds. You really need to build up the speed through the day to work out how quickly the car stops and reacts under braking. You can comfortably do 15 runs+ in the day so why not take time and build the speed. Having said that 175mph is not a very high speed at this venue.

Having also been there, and being told by the organiser in front of everyone at the brief to hard brake almost like an emergency stop is ridiculous. Everyone moaned about the braking distance.

Building up the speed throughout the day and still finding it hard to stop.

Vmax at 210mph running R888R with upgraded brake fluid in my 997.

I decided not to run any higher boost due to stopping issues. Will not attend again.

q7134Wa.jpg

The guy just wrung it out a bit too long. At that speed it's difficult to calculate stopping distances.

On hindsight a big post with ' brake" on it next to the tarmac would have helped for those getting near 200mph.

OMG was that thing rapid or what 😳

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back