Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Why not both? Split it down the middle. It would certainly be different

FZP said:

Something like this? :dont know:

Edo-Porsche_996_Turbo_Red-Black-2006-1600-06.jpg

MisterCorn said:
Time to chose a colour. Rubystone or Ultraviolet?

MC

Ruby :thumb:

Alex said:
FZP said:

Something like this? :dont know:

Edo-Porsche_996_Turbo_Red-Black-2006-1600-06.jpg
I was thinking split it down the middle front to back, but a bend of both colours meeting in the life would look good

I must admit - that turbo looks pretty snazzy with that paint job.

The choice has been made. When I started to think about it I didn't mind either way, with perhaps a slight preference for the UV. After seeing both in the flesh I have come down on the side of Rubystone. My thinking is as follows.

UV appears popular on 991 GT3 and the like. I don't want people thinking that I am trying to make it look like a newer car than it is.

Rubystone is a colour which was around when my car was made, but Porsche wouldn't let it be used on most cars. It was associated with RS models and the like.

There was only one 996 GT3 mk1 in Rubystone.

Lastly, I asked my son and he prefered the Rubystone.

That said, I think with the GT3 mk1 rear wing it looks a bit much in Rubystone so I will look out for a cup or similar rear wing to break the rear up a bit.

Thanks for the input guys, it has been relatively evenly split between the people I have asked.

I now need to make the car live up to the colour :)

MC

MisterCorn said:
Thanks for the input guys, it has been relatively evenly split between the people I have asked.

MC

I'll tip the scales - Rubystone :thumbs:
Fantastic colour, and its the exact shade I saw on the 911 that made me want one when I was a lad. Still think its great, and I'll be re-painting mine in a few years to that shade when it needs doing.

Apologies if things seem to have been moving very slowly, there are things happening, just not much I can report on here. I do have the second prototype in for the new scavenge pump, it is a few details away from being right now, so I should be giving the go ahead for the proper one to be made later this week.

As Dammit said 'The towel rail lives again!'

MC

@mistercorn been reading most of your journey through this post. I started another post about my m96.1 rebuild on pcgb "modified' and another popular forum (other forums are available :) ) After @dammit posted a photo of the scavenger pump mod, I hit google to trace the photo and origin. To cut the story short ended up here!

I am intrigued and will follow your engine rebuild. I am on the stripdown of a 2nd engine I aquired and wonder how much I will salvage to make a viable rebuild. I currently run a C4 and rebuilt the top end after intermix issues 2-3 years ago - still runs like a dream.

Not sure where I will go once the engine is stripped back. My intention is realiability and initially wanted to blueprint as close as stock. Hartec's blog the 3.4 > 3.7 mod has given me 2nd thoughts, as well as flat6innovations.

I have plenty of questions about modifying cylinder heads to suit new liners, gaskets, mapping and injectors. But will wait for your future posts.

Only the last week I was also checking retro paint codes and rubystone red was top of the list. Good choice.

I'm no real expert on the preparation, but will update on what we do. After a couple of plastic prototypes ae have commissioned the first two scavenge pumps which Dammit and I will run on our standard engines for a while to test them. I've been away wiith holidays a work a lot recently so not much going on, but I have just received these shots from the body shop. It looks like he has found his tin opener.

The cage mounts can be welded in with the roof off or with the new roof on. My thinking is it might be easier with it off, any downsides to this anybody?

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back