Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight Refurb - What am I doing wrong?

Ok, mine are the facelift (2002)

Might try with some 1000 grit. Fingers crossed 🤞

Cheers

Ok, mine are the facelift (2002)

Might try with some 1000 grit. Fingers crossed 🤞

Cheers

yo_clarkie said:
If you pick up a can of UPOL Clear #1 from your local auto shop, or online it, wet sand to 800 or 1000 grit level and rip into it, you will be very very happy with your project.

Warning, at 800/1000 grit they will look milky in colour, but clear instantly when you paint them :) If the clear coat has sections that look a different sort of milky white after you spray then hit immediately with a hair dryer - it will clear up within seconds.

You may need to wet sand 800/1000 after if you get an orange peal effect and then polish, but the above paint is very good at not doing this

Would this be as good, at half the price?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/UPol-Pow...1JSVQMTPJFZ&psc=1&refRID=BCVNGBDWA1JSVQMTPJFZ

Re: Too far gone?

Stoddy said:
Hi All,

New here but came across this thread very quickly.
My question is, how do you know if your headlights are beyond saving?
Mine are really milky, slightly over rubbed too 😐 from a previous attempt.
I've tried loads of polishes but to no avail.
£1500 at least for a set of used ones on eBay, so keen to save these.
Ooh, and can you fit litronic lights etc (brighter ones) in whatever form to a standard car?

Cheers in advance,

Rich. :dont know:

My advice would be get the 3M kit and start from scratch (no pun intended!)

Patience is the key, make sure you've done each stage properly. The real magic happens when you use the Trizact disc then the compound. The first couple of stages are tedious and a bit stressful, but keep the disc moving, and don't have the RPM too high.

My car is a garage bunny but there was no sign of any milkiness after a year or so with a coating of UV proof sealant. The plastic is defo not as scratch resistant as the OE finish, but easy to improve with a light compound.

Done them with Carpro Dlux now, will see how that goes.

Thanks for that, I'll let you know how I get on!

Rich. 8)

Ok, so I rubbed the headlights with 1200 grit Wet and dry.
Took a while to get through what was left of the old lacquer. I then used a plastic polish, followed by some clear lacquer spray. There's a slight texture to the finish but they look so much better now. I'll see how they fair over the next few months and feed back. The wet and dry works best with some spit or fresh water, I'm guessing the liquid allows the rubbed off material to get away and not clog up the sand paper?

Rich.

The 3M kit uses 500 grit, then 800 grit then Trizact 3000, then compound. The early stages, whilst brutal, do save some rubbing... as you say I did find that misting with water throughout helped, and the 500 grit stage was most important as thats what gives a good finish... the later stages are just refining the 500 grit scratches.

Personally I did not bother with lacquer as I was worried I'd undo all my good work with a dodgy finish, and in any case, any light scratches are easily removed with compound. Hasn't gone yellow again after three years, but its kept garaged most of the time.

Did you manage to get completely clear plastic by doing that? I'm working away from home at the moment, so quite enjoyed the challenge of getting one light done each night for a couple of nights in my apartment.
I finish this job early December, so might well take them off again and have a go over Christmas!

Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back