Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Non Boomy Exhaust Back Boxes Advice

The Porter

Hi,
I'm looking for a non-boomy silencers for my 996 C4S.
I've tried a Sports silencer and they just droned and sounded like a Vauxhall Nova with loud can on the end.
Are there any decent silencers out there that can be lived with for daily driving but sound great when giving the beans?
Any advice, thoughts most welcome.
Thinking about the TopGear Mild Sports exhaust now...
Cheers

Milltek comes to mind, it was great on my Cayman.
I'm getting a bit tired of my exhaust (spyder) too...

Has to be Carnewal, send existing stock away and get Gert to mod them. Nothing else compares and I've tried a few.

I've got milltek on mine quiet on a cruise , sound great when your on it 👍🏻

The Porter said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a non-boomy silencers for my 996 C4S.
I've tried a Sports silencer and they just droned and sounded like a Vauxhall Nova with loud can on the end.
Are there any decent silencers out there that can be lived with for daily driving but sound great when giving the beans?
Any advice, thoughts most welcome.
Thinking about the TopGear Mild Sports exhaust now...
Cheers

Which sports silencers did you go for?

Drew1209 said:
Has to be Carnewal, send existing stock away and get Gert to mod them. Nothing else compares and I've tried a few.

Just had a good nose around the site, looks like some clever stuff going on with their exahausts and the sports cats, i like the look of that Akroprovic trombone but it's for a 997.2.....

I've got Milltek boxes on mine and it's not the exhaust noise that has been tiring in the last few weeks and thousand odd miles of using it daily (it's tyre noise on mineJ. It sings high up in the rev range but is really quiet when pootling along and at motorway speeds.

I have the cargraphic quiets on my 997. Sound is good, sharper than stock but no louder, with a nicer noise above 4k rpm. I use mine daily, and there's no drone or CELs.

infrasilver said:
Bog standard silencers with the bypass are the best sounding high up and perfect low down, it was developed by Porsche like this or a reason with their PSE boxes.

That's probably true, the problem is that standard silencers are rusting away at alarming rates :)

I put the Top Gear Mild Sports on my 3.4 - I quite liked them as the car was a daily and they didn't attract any attention. On the down side, I missed a bit of the rumble at idle I used to have.

Yup, my standard exhausts are totally goosed. Have changed the manifolds too.
The exhausts I tried were the Topgear loud one's, costing me a fortune in paracetamol
:floor: .
So was looking to swap out with the Topgear mild sport ones... just don't want droning anymore. Have to say Topgear customer service is absolutely spot on.

I like the sound of my TG loud boxes (standard manifolds & CAT's), on the motorway it will drone/boom a bit between 2000-3000rpm in 6th on a light throttle opening (70-80mph), it's not noticeable in any of the other gears. My solution is to just leave it in 5th gear until 78mph then change up, above 80mph in 6th the the pitch changes and no more drone, I haven't noticed a reduction in range. I normally have the radio on which also helps mask it but it is noisy if I have a passenger on a long journey.
Essentially don't slow below 80mph and you'll be fine :bandit:

I've got a kline on mine and it sounds great and doesn't drone.

Hi
I'm interested in this as my exhaust is daft, full stainless. The car came with it! It's great fun on a little drive but gets boring on a run. I did wales to London yesterday and described it as my aeroplane on arrival.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back