Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Adamw''s 996 C2 aero ownership thread...

adamw

Hi all

Ok, just to set a bit of history out 1st

I've been around on 911uk for 10 yrs and this is my 4th 911..
My last being a 996T which I owned for 2.5 years.

I enjoyed the car but due to personal commitments decided to sell and take some money from the car.
I did consider having a change and maybe trying something without a Stuttgart badge but after a visit to the factory in March for my 40th I realised my heart still lies with the Marque and I needed to find a Pork shaped replacement that would give me the enjoyment but still allow some relinquishing of funds.

If money wasn't limited my dream car Is a GT3 and I started wondering, hmm, how about a very early, very sorted 996 C2 with aero, resembling a mk1 GT3. Without the mezger and badge of course.
I'd read that the early 3.4's with dual row IMS were meant to be a good besr out of the M96/97 engine cars..

That's when I founds Mark's thread below:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

I read every single page and thought to myself, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for and the work Mark has carried out looked second to none, with the mods being exactly what I was looking for personally.

I read that Mark had sold the car to a friend so contacted Mark over PM to express my interest and to see if his friend (also Mark just to confuse things) would ever be interested in parting.

We exchanged a number of messages and Mark kindly passed my interest on to Mark (his mate)
Whilst this was going on I was busy trying to sell my Turbo in the current 'difficult" market. I'd made a decision it needed to go and I priced appropriately for sale.

The car did eventually sell (for not quite as much as I'd hoped originally I'll add) and it was at the point I contacted Mark again and passed him my number to pass on to Mark.

A couple of days after I received a text saying he'd consider parting as the time was right for him. We spoke on the phone and started the process.

The difficulty was Mark (& Mark) are in (or near) Newcastle and I'm pretty much as far down south as you can get so there's allot of miles between us (330 to be precise) but I thought the car looked worth the trip from the pictures on Marks truly excellent thread.

We agreed a provisional deal subject to PPI and borescope and the rest is history.
With a very satisfactory PPI completed I made arrangements to travel to Newcastle early Sat morn to get up, view the car, do the deal and return with the C2.

After a 6am start from south we arrived up to view the car at 1:30pm.
As soon as I turned on to the road and saw the car I knew it had been worthwhile. Stunning is how I'd describe it :

C8733-D2-D-FC99-4-A46-BAE7-379-B9-A5-CB611.jpg

08-EC525-B-8-DC5-4356-B848-246-ECAE6-C355.jpg

486-DBD43-75-B9-4-C2-A-9-C16-37-BE6569-A67-F.jpg

The deal was sealed that afternoon and Mark (Marks mate - this is getting confusing) was a true gent to deal with.
Due to the distance we (myself and bro) stayed up in Newcastle for some well deserved beers that Sat night which was good.

Sunday weather was miserable with lots of rain, standing water on roads and high winds. Just the right recipe for a C2 wearing fair weather tyres.
Nevertheless, I needed to get her back down south so fully fulled we set off for a 5hr 15min drive.

A few pics below from journey :

Fuel up:

CAF85-B11-BB83-4797-AAF3-85-B2-D237-A718.jpg

Lunch stop:

A48-DF507-36-B0-4253-9-F94-44-D35-C3-BB466.jpg

Tucked up safe (a bit dirty):

F22-C407-D-7-C0-D-4623-89-FA-984-D296-BA46-A.jpg

Not too many pics but was a very long drive and there's plenty on Marks original post.
The car behaved faultlessly, sounded awesome, felt so well sorted, in fact felt new for and it's 21 yrs old.. hard to believe from behind the wheel.
I didn't really miss the turbo power behind the wheel of the C2. It's strange, what it lacks in power it makes up for in noise, character, handling and feel..

A true credit to the work Mark and Craig put in on the thread that ran for 3 years.

And from me a very happy new owner that will continue to look after and cherish the car.
I'll continue to document mods and maintenance but obviously won't be to Mark's standards :) as the bulk of the works been done.

That's it's for now and in case you can't tell I'm a happy new owner..

Bye for now guys

Adam

:thumbs:

Congrats mate, really love this one, I followed Marks thread, It always pushed me to carry on with my last one at the time,

Funny I did contact Mark when I saw this was for sale but his mate had already taken him up on it,

Keep us all updated and hope to see it in the flesh one day at a meet/show where are you based? I'm SE KENT myself,

:thumb:

JM30 said:
Congrats mate, really love this one, I followed Marks thread, It always pushed me to carry on with my last one at the time,

Funny I did contact Mark when I saw this was for sale but his mate had already taken him up on it,

Keep us all updated and hope to see it in the flesh one day at a meet/show where are you based? I'm SE KENT myself,

:thumb:

Hi mate

Thanks for the kind words. Would be great to get a meet at some point and get a few 996 aero's together
Yrs it the carrera white one isn't it.
Another lovely car :thumb:

I'm in East Grinstead, West Sussex
Grew up in Kent (Biggin Hill)..

Can't wait to start using the car so a few meets sound good

Nice one Adam :thumb:

Here's a photo of your car I took 'earlier'. :D

MnKAEdT.jpg

Coullstar - thanks mate, yep very happy

Y2K - cheers, great pic. I already nicked that one off of Marks thread :grin:

Hi Adam,

Glad you got sorted with a car, you've got an excellent one there as i'm sure you are well aware.

I'll never have that sort of time to put into a car again. I was a little gutted when Mark said he was wanting rid for a GT3, pretty much just after we'd finished it, what with all the early starts, late finishes :nooo: and the amount of work that we put into into the car, but it was enjoyable to do and at the end of the day its gone to a forum member who will look after it like we did.

Enjoy the car mate

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Take it easy

Great looking car Adam. Looking forward to hearing some comparison reviews re it and your old 996T.

Need to meet up Adam. Some good back lane blasts up your way. High Beech Lane a particular favourite!

Cheers James

Craig - thanks - I'm certainly very grateful for the work that went in to car :grin: and will certainly look after it. As I said to Mark I over PM I'm glad the cars returning to 911uk too. Kind of feels at home here :thumb:

Terry - cheers , I'll certainly aim to write a comparison soon.

James - definitely, would be up for a run out soon :thumb:

Yes that's mine mate,

To be exact I'm Canterbury Kent so sure to keep an eye out for the more local stuff or Porsche related shows at Brands and the like :thumbs:

Lovely looking car. I did read Marks original rebuild thread several times. It defiantly inspired me to do a bit f a resto on mine next year (space, time & cash permitting)

JM30 - cheers mate, yep be good to get a line up of 996 Aeros going at a show ! :thumb:

Simon - yep, read Marks original thread and it inspired me enough to pursue that exact car - it paid off :grin:

Congrats.
Looks like a great car.

rob_p said:
Congrats.
Looks like a great car.

Cheers Rob - pleased ! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211