Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

does a lighter steering wheel provide more feedback?

No science to back it up but I doubt the weight makes much difference. Compare the wheel weight to the rest of the components any movement has already travelled through (and the friction involved between each) and it surely can't make much difference.

I'm sure the material, diameter, thickness etc can feel different though and it's hard to isolate one from another.

gunner said:
No science to back it up but I doubt the weight makes much difference. Compare the wheel weight to the rest of the components any movement has already travelled through (and the friction involved between each) and it surely can't make much difference.

I'm sure the material, diameter, thickness etc can feel different though and it's hard to isolate one from another.

Well we can argue all day on this, but I've owned a 964 C2 (pre airbag) and I own a 993 C2 and I've had both wheels on the 993 and the RS one imo makes the steering feel far more like that of the 964 ..... a car I disliked but preferred it's steering feel as it communicated so well ..... and that now is how my 993 feels ....... I guess you just have to try it to believe it.

wozy said:
Well we can argue all day on this, but I've owned a 964 C2 (pre airbag) and I own a 993 C2 and I've had both wheels on the 993 and the RS one imo makes the steering feel far more like that of the 964 ..... a car I disliked but preferred it's steering feel as it communicated so well ..... and that now is how my 993 feels ....... I guess you just have to try it to believe it.

Not arguing with you that it feels different (that would be silly), just saying I don't think it's the weight that makes the difference. The two wheels are of different construction and materials (and maybe diameter and thickness?) so I'm sure will transmit vibration etc differently.

Hi

The steering tie rods in the 993 have rubber in them. The 964's don't. I had mine welded solid by sliding a very thick metal washer of the right size up against the housing for the rubber bush and welding it there. In the US its popular to pin the tie rod through the bush, but I did not wish to weaken the rod by drilling it.

So now my 993 steering feels more like my old 964 steering used to. Also I changed all the suspension bushes to Elephant Racing RS spec ones. That helped as well.

But the steering arms are a super cheap mod, so you might want to give it a go.

Berni

Agreed. Mine are welded up to be solid and it offers a more precise feel without losing any comfort.

The biggest loss of steering feel is, in my view, down to losing compliance in the tyre sidewalls. Without the spring effect this introduces into the steering, there is little to no detectable resistance to steering inputs which makes steering feel "numb".

This is one of the biggest disadvantages of very low profile tyres in terms of driving pleasure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back