Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator Noise

Moko

Today I had to take out my perfectly functioning alternator to enable me to replace a broken oil filler tube (there's a special place in Hell reserved for whoever designed that object :) )

Now after reassembling and torquing up the alternator bolts I'm getting a bit more noise from the belts/engine....now this isn't a horrible noise or anything like that just a bit louder than it was previously so just to be on the safe side is there anything that I could have done wrong to change the sound or is this just the belt settling down after being moved?

Thanks for any advice as I've never tried to do this job before.

David

Welcome to my world :D

It's actually not too bad when you have done a few .. there are some jobs on Porsches that even i throw my toys out of the pram ..

Panamera turbo alternator being one of them and i swore i would quit if i was ever given another to do .

Logically is should make no difference .. i would suggest you have a good look at the belt and make sure it's sitting in the grooves .. in other words not to one side or the other .

If not happy i would remove the belt , spin each pulley .. idlers etc and make sure they were all quiet .. it's also a chance to refit the belt again and prove its all ok .

EDIT ..

A split in the filler tube would allow air in .. the car will adapt to the increased lean mixture .. it's just about possible it's the running of the engine you are hearing which will be different until it adapts ..

Just about though as i'm trying to cover all bases here :)

Thanks thats really helpful....much respect to those who do this stuff for a living.

I will give it another visual check over to make sure belts sitting right.

On another note....why doesn't the CD22 radio turn back on after Ive reconnected the battery? Surely it doesn't think anyone would be trying to steel it :floor:

Is there a radio code that needs to be entered ?

i'm Afraid i don't know every model inside out but it will say code if thats whats needed .. it may well think its being stolen :)

failing that then a tester and do what we call a vehicle handover .. it gets items out of sleep mode which they can fall into with battery issues .

Sleep mode is used when the car is transported when new .. the car has many items that don't work until we do a handover to wake them up to stop flat batterys during transport from germany to the UK .

radio codes are often in the wallet pack and on a seperate card .

Did you re-use the old belt? I've seen it recommended that when re-using a belt you make sure it goes back on in the same orientation it came off, so it continues to travel in the same direction. Just a thought.

Thanks guys...yes the radio just needed the code inputting which was easy once I found the card in the owners manual wallet.

As to belt I did reuse the old one but I used a marker pen to make sure it went on the same way it came off. Drove from London up to the Bicester Sunday Scramble yesterday and all went perfectly so I think it was just a case of settling in again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back