Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery Replacement - Help

wibbaboo

Hi All,

Although I've been using a trickle charger - I went to take out my 996.2 today to find a completely dead battery - On reconnecting the trickle charger and pushing the connection hard into the cig lighter it started to charge and I got at least a glimmer of power to the console.

I've left on charge and started a web search for batteries.

Europarts have a 50% sale on - but I'm confused as to the exact battery to buy!!
Can someone point me at a recommended make and model please

Ta

Greg

Most people seem to rate the Bosch S5. My car (996.2) had one put in in 2016 and it died a few months ago.

I managed to resuscitate it but eventually gave up and just got a Halfords battery in a hurry. It's been fine. I can now leave the car a week without worrying about not even being able to pop the frunk (don't have a garage, trickle charging isn't possible).

I've heard around the grapevine that bosch batteries have gone down in quality - not sure what are those rumours based on.

cvega said:
I've heard around the grapevine that bosch batteries have gone down in quality - not sure what are those rumours based on.

Internet rumours!!!!

I also used Tanya to order. It's a good next day delivery service.
I chose the Varta Silver. As heard it was made in same factory and same standard as the Bosch, but was quite a bit cheaper. It's been fine for approx 5 years, although like everyone else, it needs constant trickle charge as car has never coped with 2 weeks unattended (even from nearly new... damn tracker I suspect!)

Supplementary question:

Do I have to disconnect the battery to fit a new light switch to my 4S?

Assuming I do...

- if I leave the ignition in the 'on' position then the alarm won't go off when I disconnect/reconnect the battery?
- do I have to start the car and leave it idle for a bit to let the electronic throttle recalibrate... anything else I need to do to force it to recalibrate?
- do I have to reset the windows?

Carparts4less are cheaper than ECP and its the same company.

Probably safer to disconnect, but hardly essential if you are sensible.

The windows might need to relearn and a few other things need a short drive.

Robertb said:
Supplementary question:

Do I have to disconnect the battery to fit a new light switch to my 4S?

Assuming I do...

- if I leave the ignition in the 'on' position then the alarm won't go off when I disconnect/reconnect the battery?
- do I have to start the car and leave it idle for a bit to let the electronic throttle recalibrate... anything else I need to do to force it to recalibrate?
- do I have to reset the windows?

In short then no.

with a battery disconnect on this model ...

Ign turned on ( lights illuminated ) .. disconnect battery ..

Disconnect Neg lead then positive if replacing .. never disconnect the positive first .

Only Neg lead for something like this .

pos lead on first then neg lead .. basically never touch the positive lead with a spanner when the neg lead is still connected .

Close each window ..doors shut then press and hold the up window button for 5 seconds .. that will relearn the one touch close .

radio code if applicable .

ignition on and don't touch the throttle pedal for 30 seconds .. ignition off then drive as normal .. car will learn without this though so no big deal .

Steering angle sensor will reset after a drive over 6 mph but that's more for 997 than these .

Thanks DeMort for the comprehensive answer as always :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back