Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What would you have changed?

Menace

Hockenheim
Hi all,

With hindsight, and no point mentioning ims/rms, what would you have added or changed to the 996 when launched?

Regards

Stainless fasteners through more of the car, in fact more or less anywhere underneath.
Sunroof should have been a cost option rather than the sunroof delete being an option.
LSD should have been standard.
It should have been 100KG lighter.

It's a tricky question cos if Porsche did everything right that is wrong, they probably couldn't have afforded to manufacture the car. The 986/996 was a cost cutting exercise to save the firm.......and it worked.

Although now you've asked: :grin:

Mesh radiator grills
Better located aircon pipe
Mid engine instead of rear
Better crank support at clutch end
Alternative brake pipe routing
Stainless manifold bolts

Ahh, but they were saving that mid-engine goodness for the Cayman. But yes, a better appointed car would have meant the end of Porsche; the commonality with the Boxster was essential to them staying afloat, as well as the pig iron spec steel they specced for the fixings.

Funnily enough, I did my ARDS test in a Cayman at Thruxton and it was a brilliant thing on the track, if somewhat soft. I have a great memory of slowly reeling in a black 911 and realising this was a moment I'd never forget.

Designed it so that someone 6'2" could drive it comfortably without a raft of modifications would have saved me quite a bit of money.

EGTE said:
Better seats.

Than what? The hardbacks are perfect IMHO. :dont know:

Electric folding mirrors !

EGTE said:
Better seats.

Yep, with you on that. I really have to brace myself against the door or centre console when cornering hard in mine. I would have gone for buckets long ago, but the folding ability is required for getting the kids into the back. I also find the seats to not be wide enough at shoulder level, and I'm a very standard size human.

Cupholder as standard
Glovebox on 3.4s

Kept the non-electronic frunk opening on the earlier cars as standard throughout

Martin996RSR said:
EGTE said:
Better seats.

Yep, with you on that. I really have to brace myself against the door or centre console when cornering hard in mine. I would have gone for buckets long ago, but the folding ability is required for getting the kids into the back. I also find the seats to not be wide enough at shoulder level, and I'm a very standard size human.

Replace drivers seat, keep passenger seat?

Better-feeling column stalks
Oil temp gauge
Metal bushes (ings?) in gearshift
A simple means of accessing the battery when the battery's flat on post '01 cars

Dammit said:
Martin996RSR said:
EGTE said:
Better seats.

Replace drivers seat, keep passenger seat?

I could do. I have thought about it and I was worried it would look a bit daft, and the practicality aspect of only being able to get the kids out of one side might have an impact. I know CLR Richard managed to get his buckets installed in a child-freindly way, so perhaps I could go that route.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back