Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

battery drain

uk996

Spa-Francorchamps
I found that my car would drain its battery in about 3 weeks. Just found that the glovebox light stays on and never goes out. Haven't found the switch for it yet.

Does the car have a tracker? They are terrible for draining batteries.....

uk996 said:
I found that my car would drain its battery in about 3 weeks. Just found that the glovebox light stays on and never goes out. Haven't found the switch for it yet.

I had battery issues a while back and at one time thought it was the glove box light. I think it eventually turns off but takes a while. If you want to eliminate that as the cause then pull the bulb and see. I even pulled the trunk light too.

My issue ended up being alternator related

I videoed the inside of the glovebox with my phone, it was on for 45 mins.

It doesn't have a tracker, not one I'm aware of ...

You need to drop the glove box to get at the switch .. it's on the right side of the box .

From memory you can just about get a finger to it but basically you need to remove the box and test / replace it .

Amp meter on a battery neg lead and read off after 1 hour to see if you have a discharge .

Did you have either the bonnet or engine cover open while checking the glove box lamp. Our car are strange in that the front boot lamp, engine bay light and glove box light all work together so they all come on if any of the three are open,
This means if you leave one of them open all three will stay on, but the cleaver car turns them off after about 45 mins so you don't flatten the battery!

Hi
I had this on a C2 cab and it was a dodgy ignition switch. It took ages to ID but £45 to fix.
Good luck

Mac996t said:
Did you have either the bonnet or engine cover open while checking the glove box lamp. Our car are strange in that the front boot lamp, engine bay light and glove box light all work together so they all come on if any of the three are open,
This means if you leave one of them open all three will stay on, but the cleaver car turns them off after about 45 mins so you don't flatten the battery!

darn it, yes the frunk lid wasn't closed properly, I do that deliberately so I can get to the battery easily if needed.

Also it looks like I need to check for over an hour to make sure.

Back to square 1.

deMort said:
You need to drop the glove box to get at the switch .. it's on the right side of the box .

From memory you can just about get a finger to it but basically you need to remove the box and test / replace it .

Amp meter on a battery neg lead and read off after 1 hour to see if you have a discharge .

thanks for that deMort. I've got a clamp meter that'll do the job. I don't suppose you know the pin outs / wiring the diagram for the Bose system on a 2002 911 ? I've found a control box and amplifier in the frunk and would like to replace it with an after market amp I took out of a previous car I had.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back