Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice please - Winter tyres or change to 4 wheel drive?

Four wheel drive and summer tyres will often keep you moving in snowy conditions but all cars have four wheel braking and it's when you try and slow down that you'll find that winter tyres significantly reduce the sphincter factor.

Thank you all for this - really informative!

Our Winters are also a little unpredictable. They can sometimes be "warm" and there was even that time with snow in April.

I suppose just be sensible - and I can use taxi's if needed which is what I have been doing. Thats cheaper than a "snooter" or a set of winter wheels.

RedJedi said:
Thank you all for this - really informative!

Our Winters are also a little unpredictable. They can sometimes be "warm" and there was even that time with snow in April.

I suppose just be sensible - and I can use taxi's if needed which is what I have been doing. Thats cheaper than a "snooter" or a set of winter wheels.

If I still lived in the UK, I think I'd still have the same dilemma, but a good car on good winter tyres is also a lot of fun to drive in the winter, and certainly a lot more fun than those sphincter-puckering times when you're simply in the wrong place on the wrong tyres. :wack:

4wd will not help you stop.

Winter tires are night and day from summer, you won't be getting stuck with them.

Mezgerite said:
4wd will not help you stop.

Winter tires are night and day from summer, you won't be getting stuck with them.

This and the extra weight of the 4WD system makes stopping harder. In the right conditions winter tyres are worth it but don't forget the person driving behind you probably hasn't got them on and can't stop as quickly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back