Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 31
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Nish87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Investment help / advice needed. Reply with quote

Hi to all the 911uk members,

Sorry this is my first post and couldn't find a topic that would help me with my second purchase of a Porsche only this time as an investment. I have been now looking at 996 for quite some time but not sure on what i should get to put my money into. Is there anyone who can help me with this and also if i can have a recommendation on who to you for the pre purchase inspection.Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all. thumbsup

kas750
Shanghai

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t think of too many Porsche models in this day and age that could be considered an investment..

Nish87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kas750 wrote:
I can’t think of too many Porsche models in this day and age that could be considered an investment..

Hi Kas750,

Thanks for the reply. So you would not recommend putting any money into a Porsche as an investment? As i have been looking at a few Porsche 996 for a little investment.

Boba fett
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nish87 wrote:
kas750 wrote:

Hi Kas750,

Thanks for the reply. So you would not recommend putting any money into a Porsche as an investment? As i have been looking at a few Porsche 996 for a little investment.

Not a 996 really, well maybe a GT3, maybe, but that won’t be much, look at a 996 more for holding its money.

Nish87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boba fett wrote:
Nish87 wrote:
kas750 wrote:

Hi Kas750,

Not a 996 really, well maybe a GT3, maybe, but that won’t be much, look at a 996 more for holding its money.

Thanks for this, would any other Porsche models be a good investment?? Or best to keep away from investing in Porsche. I have had a Porsche Cayman and loved it but its now time to enjoy the big boy toys. So though if i am getting a Porsche then buy it as an investment rather then just a run around. It is hardly going to be used.

StuF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchasing a Porsche as an investment can stir up a hornet's nest of biblical proportions in some circles.

Several hold the idea in complete disdain and believe that no cars should be looked at as a way of making money and should be driven as intended regardless of the potential depreciation.

It's your money so do whatever you like with the car you decide to purchase - drive it or let it look pretty in your garage. Even crazily enough you could perhaps do both!

I work away Mon-Fri so rarely get to drive any of my 4 vehicles regularly and two of those are Porsche Turbos - and I hope not to lose money on either in the long term.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with "Investing" in a 996 Turbo (I have one!), low mileage, totally standard and full service history.
If you can stretch to an X50 version they are even rarer a could appreciate more than a standard turbo.

I do believe the 996 will eventually reach classic status as the very first of the Watercooled 911's and values will rise however it won't be in the next 5 years although nobody has a crystal ball!

Best of luck car shopping whatever you decide to do!
And your looking around the correct forum - plenty of help and advice on here

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah To boba and Kas posts.

To run these cars properly costs money. Even if you self spanner.
As boba says they’ll hold their money quite well so they’re a safe place to put some IF you’re a petrolhead and would be buying a car anyway.

Talk of investments is crap though because as I’ve said before, honestly the likes of 996s and things don’t even register as investments in the proper classic car world.
As petrol gets phased out or whatever, only museum pieces etc such as Ferrari 250 GTOs etc, will be in any sort of demand for their beauty.
996s will just be fodder really.

However will that be in 10 years, 20 years, or 30 years? Who knows. I personally think we are safe for at least another decade.

Oh and I’m not dissing 996s. They’re incredible value for money and I include my GT3 in the above with regard to investments. They aren’t.

My mate just sent me a link to a 205GTi tonight for £30k!!
How are 996s not worth way more than they are? Nostalgia counts for a lot.
(I’d love a 1.9 gti as I had one when I was 18. £30k though! Or even £15k for a very good one).

Buy a car that excites you and gives you pleasure from ownership. Be that from driving, polishing or tinkering. Forget this investment malarkey though. nooo

Thumb

Last edited by Marky911 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd 'invest' in a painting instead...maybe get Banksy to paint a 996 Dont know

Grin

Nish87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuF wrote:
Purchasing a Porsche as an investment can stir up a hornet's nest of biblical proportions in some circles.

Several hold the idea in complete disdain and believe that no cars should be looked at as a way of making money and should be driven as intended regardless of the potential depreciation.

It's your money so do whatever you like with the car you decide to purchase - drive it or let it look pretty in your garage. Even crazily enough you could perhaps do both!

I work away Mon-Fri so rarely get to drive any of my 4 vehicles regularly and two of those are Porsche Turbos - and I hope not to lose money on either in the long term.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with "Investing" in a 996 Turbo (I have one!), low mileage, totally standard and full service history.
If you can stretch to an X50 version they are even rarer a could appreciate more than a standard turbo.

I do believe the 996 will eventually reach classic status as the very first of the Watercooled 911's and values will rise however it won't be in the next 5 years although nobody has a crystal ball!

Best of luck car shopping whatever you decide to do!
And your looking around the correct forum - plenty of help and advice on here

Thanks StuF,

Much appreciate your help on this. I am not actually looking to make serious money on it i am more interested in driving it for pleasure but also not loosing money like most vehicles would. Even tho it could lose which is understandable.

But with your advice its made me more confused on what to look out for a normal 996 or a turbo 996 or a x50. Obvlys depends on what the x50 n turbos market values are currently and if in specific i should i look out for?

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10:43

Nish87 wrote:
It is hardly going to be used

10:56

Nish87 wrote:
i am more interested in driving it for pleasure

Not trying to sound like an Ahole but it sounds like you are rarely going to drive the thing, then 13 mins later you're going to drive it but just not as a daily, a bit like mine I guess.

Buy a turbo if you're going to drive it, biy a GT3 if you're going to look at it Judge

Thumb

Nish87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSC911 wrote:
10:43

Nish87 wrote:
It is hardly going to be used

10:56

Nish87 wrote:
i am more interested in driving it for pleasure

Not trying to sound like an Ahole but it sounds like you are rarely going to drive the thing, then 13 mins later you're going to drive it but just not as a daily, a bit like mine I guess.

Buy a turbo if you're going to drive it, biy a GT3 if you're going to look at it Judge

Thumb

Lol thanks for this made it simple enough. I appreciate everyone help on this. Hope i can once again be a Proud Porsche owner only this time with something to enjoy and also look at worship Drive Drive

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSC911 wrote:

Thumb

You looking for trouble Jin? Got your brave pants on have you? Very Happy

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
HSC911 wrote:

Thumb

You looking for trouble Jin? Got your brave pants on have you? Very Happy

No pants...watching Monday's Gas Monkey and on my 2nd bottle of vino

Thumb

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

Not an image I want to let into my head. Grin

Enjoy! Beats where I am. Staring at a one off that needs programming in my CNC machine. Thumb

Griffter
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is to set aside personal preference and buy what the magazines/forums/market fuss over. Depending on your budget, for the 996 that means cable throttle C2 with aero kit, LSD, non-sunroof and preferably M030 suspension as standard; a manual C4S coupe in a good colour with a black interior, or a GT3 clubsport. But original, not something that’s been turned into one of these.

You need to be looking at cars to a specific spec produced in small numbers which for some reason are far more popular used than new.

The rules of the game for all investment cars are low mileage, full service history (preferably a service book, with or without receipts) and original unmolested condition. Of course these things narrow the market further.

The rules of the game for Porsche are manual, coupe, 2wd if possible.

All the above is with investment in mind, not necessarily usability, driveability or avoiding future maintenance and running costs. Even an investment 996 will require servicing to maintain its provenance and value. Any 996 is likely to need a few thousand spending after purchase and every few years thereafter even if used infrequently. As others have noted I doubt any increase in value will “beat” the costs of ownership but only time will tell.

Personally for investment I’d look to an original (10-13) Boxster Spyder or Cayman GT4. They’re still “new” cars and although not depreciating have yet to increase substantially in value. There are so many forces and variables at work though, particularly at the moment, I think investing in any car is a risk. Can you afford to take the risk?

Rik b

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
A few years ago i decided to ‘invest’ small money in some cars. A 02 high mile C2 cab was one of these. I drove it most days and loved every minute of it.
Completely converted as I’d never really fancied a Porsche.

I also had a Jag XJR and an Aston Db9.

When the time came to sell up 2 years later I’d put 22k miles on it on sold it for exactly what I’d payed for it. Free motoring for 2 years is enough of an investment for me.

I sold everything and bought a new house. Now its 18 months later and back on the hunt for toys. I have just got this, I know lots of you will hate it but I love it. Sorry to all of the haters🤣🤣 Grin

C7F9FB67-0E83-4BBC-8A11-2981B0EA146A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.52 KB
 Viewed:  1013 Time(s)

C7F9FB67-0E83-4BBC-8A11-2981B0EA146A.jpeg

Zingari
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chum, you've missed the boat by around 8yrs when in the good old days a 964 could be had for £12k and a 993 for 20 bags Grin

At the moment you're at the top of the bell-end curve just going over the crest on the downward slope. Any car seen as an 'investment' will be at the top of its price and with Brexit and economic uncertaintly have the potential to do an 'Eddy the Eagle' with your dough what

Early cheap 986 Boxster and 996 can still be had but the cheaper the are the less money an owner has usually spent so you could be in for some big bills even self-spannering as you can't escape the price of some parts and the Porsche tax.

Cast iron return is buy a new GT car, Speedster and the like. The latter owners are predicted to make £150k off the bat. That said getting an allocation will be near impossible as brown envelopes don't work anymore.

Danger you buy as an 'investment' and then don't drive it otherwise you're shaking like a shitting dog it'll get wet, stone chipped every time you take it out.

Hand I have it on good authority the 987.2 Boxster Black Edition will sky rocket in value in a few years escpecially if a lot of carbonique is applied.

Whatever you buy, if the cra has a following reassure yourself that you might lose some money, but not much compared to other cars and enjoy the experience.

But be warned as I know of one buyer of a 991 GT3RS who lost £45k on it in 18 months nooo

cvega
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

2003 996 C2 (Ohlins R&T suspension, Toyosport/Spyder exhaust)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: