Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Investment help / advice needed.

Nish87

Hi to all the 911uk members,

Sorry this is my first post and couldn't find a topic that would help me with my second purchase of a Porsche only this time as an investment. I have been now looking at 996 for quite some time but not sure on what i should get to put my money into. Is there anyone who can help me with this and also if i can have a recommendation on who to you for the pre purchase inspection.Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all. :thumbs:

I can't think of too many Porsche models in this day and age that could be considered an investment..

kas750 said:
I can't think of too many Porsche models in this day and age that could be considered an investment..

Hi Kas750,

Thanks for the reply. So you would not recommend putting any money into a Porsche as an investment? As i have been looking at a few Porsche 996 for a little investment.

Nish87 said:
kas750 said:

Hi Kas750,

Thanks for the reply. So you would not recommend putting any money into a Porsche as an investment? As i have been looking at a few Porsche 996 for a little investment.

Not a 996 really, well maybe a GT3, maybe, but that won't be much, look at a 996 more for holding its money.

Boba fett said:
Nish87 said:
kas750 said:

Hi Kas750,

Not a 996 really, well maybe a GT3, maybe, but that won't be much, look at a 996 more for holding its money.

Thanks for this, would any other Porsche models be a good investment?? Or best to keep away from investing in Porsche. I have had a Porsche Cayman and loved it but its now time to enjoy the big boy toys. So though if i am getting a Porsche then buy it as an investment rather then just a run around. It is hardly going to be used.

Purchasing a Porsche as an investment can stir up a hornet's nest of biblical proportions in some circles.

Several hold the idea in complete disdain and believe that no cars should be looked at as a way of making money and should be driven as intended regardless of the potential depreciation.

It's your money so do whatever you like with the car you decide to purchase - drive it or let it look pretty in your garage. Even crazily enough you could perhaps do both!

I work away Mon-Fri so rarely get to drive any of my 4 vehicles regularly and two of those are Porsche Turbos - and I hope not to lose money on either in the long term.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with "Investing" in a 996 Turbo (I have one!), low mileage, totally standard and full service history.
If you can stretch to an X50 version they are even rarer a could appreciate more than a standard turbo.

I do believe the 996 will eventually reach classic status as the very first of the Watercooled 911's and values will rise however it won't be in the next 5 years although nobody has a crystal ball!

Best of luck car shopping whatever you decide to do!
And your looking around the correct forum - plenty of help and advice on here

:yeah: To boba and Kas posts.

To run these cars properly costs money. Even if you self spanner.
As boba says they'll hold their money quite well so they're a safe place to put some IF you're a petrolhead and would be buying a car anyway.

Talk of investments is crap though because as I've said before, honestly the likes of 996s and things don't even register as investments in the proper classic car world.
As petrol gets phased out or whatever, only museum pieces etc such as Ferrari 250 GTOs etc, will be in any sort of demand for their beauty.
996s will just be fodder really.

However will that be in 10 years, 20 years, or 30 years? Who knows. I personally think we are safe for at least another decade.

Oh and I'm not dissing 996s. They're incredible value for money and I include my GT3 in the above with regard to investments. They aren't.

My mate just sent me a link to a 205GTi tonight for £30k!!
How are 996s not worth way more than they are? Nostalgia counts for a lot.
(I'd love a 1.9 gti as I had one when I was 18. £30k though! Or even £15k for a very good one).

Buy a car that excites you and gives you pleasure from ownership. Be that from driving, polishing or tinkering. Forget this investment malarkey though. :nooo:

:thumb:

I'd 'invest' in a painting instead...maybe get Banksy to paint a 996 :dont know:

:grin:

StuF said:
Purchasing a Porsche as an investment can stir up a hornet's nest of biblical proportions in some circles.

Several hold the idea in complete disdain and believe that no cars should be looked at as a way of making money and should be driven as intended regardless of the potential depreciation.

It's your money so do whatever you like with the car you decide to purchase - drive it or let it look pretty in your garage. Even crazily enough you could perhaps do both!

I work away Mon-Fri so rarely get to drive any of my 4 vehicles regularly and two of those are Porsche Turbos - and I hope not to lose money on either in the long term.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with "Investing" in a 996 Turbo (I have one!), low mileage, totally standard and full service history.
If you can stretch to an X50 version they are even rarer a could appreciate more than a standard turbo.

I do believe the 996 will eventually reach classic status as the very first of the Watercooled 911's and values will rise however it won't be in the next 5 years although nobody has a crystal ball!

Best of luck car shopping whatever you decide to do!
And your looking around the correct forum - plenty of help and advice on here

Thanks StuF,

Much appreciate your help on this. I am not actually looking to make serious money on it i am more interested in driving it for pleasure but also not loosing money like most vehicles would. Even tho it could lose which is understandable.

But with your advice its made me more confused on what to look out for a normal 996 or a turbo 996 or a x50. Obvlys depends on what the x50 n turbos market values are currently and if in specific i should i look out for?

10:43

Nish87 said:
It is hardly going to be used

10:56

Nish87 said:
i am more interested in driving it for pleasure

Not trying to sound like an Ahole but it sounds like you are rarely going to drive the thing, then 13 mins later you're going to drive it but just not as a daily, a bit like mine I guess.

Buy a turbo if you're going to drive it, biy a GT3 if you're going to look at it :judge:

HSC911 said:
10:43

Nish87 said:
It is hardly going to be used

10:56

Nish87 said:
i am more interested in driving it for pleasure

Not trying to sound like an Ahole but it sounds like you are rarely going to drive the thing, then 13 mins later you're going to drive it but just not as a daily, a bit like mine I guess.

Buy a turbo if you're going to drive it, biy a GT3 if you're going to look at it :judge:

Lol thanks for this made it simple enough. I appreciate everyone help on this. Hope i can once again be a Proud Porsche owner only this time with something to enjoy and also look at :worship: :drive: :drive:

HSC911 said:

You looking for trouble Jin? Got your brave pants on have you? :D

Marky911 said:
HSC911 said:

You looking for trouble Jin? Got your brave pants on have you? :D

No pants...watching Monday's Gas Monkey and on my 2nd bottle of vino
wine.gif

:eek:

Not an image I want to let into my head. :grin:

Enjoy! Beats where I am. Staring at a one off that needs programming in my CNC machine. :thumb:

The simple answer is to set aside personal preference and buy what the magazines/forums/market fuss over. Depending on your budget, for the 996 that means cable throttle C2 with aero kit, LSD, non-sunroof and preferably M030 suspension as standard; a manual C4S coupe in a good colour with a black interior, or a GT3 clubsport. But original, not something that's been turned into one of these.

You need to be looking at cars to a specific spec produced in small numbers which for some reason are far more popular used than new.

The rules of the game for all investment cars are low mileage, full service history (preferably a service book, with or without receipts) and original unmolested condition. Of course these things narrow the market further.

The rules of the game for Porsche are manual, coupe, 2wd if possible.

All the above is with investment in mind, not necessarily usability, driveability or avoiding future maintenance and running costs. Even an investment 996 will require servicing to maintain its provenance and value. Any 996 is likely to need a few thousand spending after purchase and every few years thereafter even if used infrequently. As others have noted I doubt any increase in value will 'beat" the costs of ownership but only time will tell.

Personally for investment I'd look to an original (10-13) Boxster Spyder or Cayman GT4. They're still 'new" cars and although not depreciating have yet to increase substantially in value. There are so many forces and variables at work though, particularly at the moment, I think investing in any car is a risk. Can you afford to take the risk?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back