Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aftermarket alarm and immobiliser

AtariBoy

My 964 has an aftermarket fob controlled alarm linked into the central locking and a chip key type immobiliser, as often found in older cars of a similar age.

They both work without fault, but they are bit of a pain and palaver to use - disarm the alarm, get in, disengage the immobiliser with chip key, then start the car.

It may sound daft, but the routine, takes away from the analog pleasure of getting in a just driving off.

Is removing these just a no, no?

I appreciate that they are woven into the main wiring and I wouldn't want to open a can of worms potentially. The car is a weekend toy and garaged at home so a limited security risk.

This is a yes and a no answer .. you need to know what Porsche original wiring looks like and aftermarket wiring ..

loom tape is a different colour or it might be plastic tape .. that's not porsche tape .

In short you find the alarm boxes then trace the wiring back to remove it .

Names like cobra or scorpio / laser on a box are not porsche .

For an immobiliser there are what we call cuts .. this is where things like fuel pump wiring has been cut and the alarm system joined into these wires .

You have to rejoin the original wires .. let's say you see a yellow wire .. often the starter motor feed connected to a black wire .. in the same area you find another wire exactly the same .. you have to cut and solder join the 2 yellow wires to bypass the aftermarket alarm on that circuit .

I tend to say .. alarm removal and its circa 2 hours labour .. some are quicker than others .. it all depends on how someone like me has tried to make it difficult to find and bypass these systems .. after all .. we are trying to make it hard when we fit them ... we don't like thieves !!

If you want to diy this then take pictures of anything you are unsure of and ill tell you what to do .. downside is i'm only here from 7-9pm .

I'd say rip it all out and put a modern system in.

Hamilton & Palmer were the default alarm system for 993 back in the day but now you're talking 20yr+ out of date.

The chip key and getting the right number of bleeps is a PITA :what:

Thank you both for your advice. Since I originally posted I have decided to do as suggested, get everything properly removed and fit a new, modern system. It seems from a cursory investigation modern alarms are now quite sophisticated and therefor hopefully less intrusive.

Can anyone recommend a good quality modern alarm manufacturer, please?

alarm

I had a non working original alarm and immobiliser and a clifford removed and then had the whole lot replaced with a Toad alarm with remote keyfob which works well and I now have remote opening of the doors.
It's worth paying an auto electrician to remove all that was there and put the replacement in the original cuts!

AtariBoy said:
Can anyone recommend a good quality modern alarm manufacturer, please?

I've just had a Clifford alarm fitted, which seems fine, although alarms are a bit "fit and forget" and there's nothing much to see apart from the fob.
My installer charges £149 to remove an old system, but waives this fee if installing a new one. I paid £499 including VAT and fitting for a Clifford 650 mk3 by the way.
He also recommended Autowatch, and Toad. I believe Cobra is pretty good too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back