Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3 Flash Indicator Mod

Thanks daybar, I've got the kit & the tool is somewhere in my garage, hopefully get it fitted soon.

My wife's last few cars have done this and it's handy for changing lanes and exiting roundabouts.

Would I add it to my 996? Nope. But if you have the time and like it, then why not. :thumb:

I only need one flash in the turbo :D
Never missed it in my C2 either. A couple of my cars have the three flash thing, I'm not really for or against it. I'll use it but wouldn't go to any effort to enable it.

MC

Modern cars (had it my last two) have the 3 flash thingy by just tapping the indicator but you can also put the indicator on indefinitely, this is a good thing depending on the situation and 1,000,000 better than the BMW and Merc's that don't even come with indicators as standard.

If the 996 mod is the same as a modern car its a good mod.

alex yates said:
Bluebird911 said:
Hi Alex,

Usefulish on motorways when you just want to change lanes but I think it has limited use elsewhere. Most motorway lane changes can be completed in '3 flashes'.

I thought the general rule on motorways was 2 flashes before you even start to make your move and then only cancel your signal once you are in that lane?

Still think the 3 flash thing is more dangerous than the standard method.

Exactly. Indicators are for indicating what you intend to do, not only what you're actually doing.

For those worried about this being dangerous as it 'only gives three flashes' or whatever, bear in mind that this mod can only increase the number of flashes, not decrease them. If you just knocked the stalk down to get a single flash before you will now get three, if you turned your indicators on fully before they will operate as normal.

At serious danger of over thinking this, what does it do if you hold your stalk on for for 2 flashes? On one of my cars it would give three flashes if you moved the stalk to give a single flash, but if you held it there for two flashes it would only give two.

I think it was the Touareg I had where you could connect through the diagnostics software and edit the number of flashes. I wonder if they did that after pressure from a forum to keep everybody happy?

MC

Agree with the above. This is just another facility. It doesn't start or stop people having dangerous habits, you still need to use indicators correctly. By all means don't use them if you think you'll use them in a dangerous way.

Just fitted this and very happy with the functionality
It is an individual choice, of course, but in my opinion it is one of the very few useful features of the many that modern car manufacturers bombard us with these days.

One point to reiterate if you do it and use the 6speed online guide, the hazard warning switch fits either way up, one way works, the other doesn't and curiously the correct way is when the pin numbers don't match!!

Regards

Reviving an old thread here but it was something I wanted to fit to my 986 so have written up a 'How To' on the link below if anyone else is interested in adding this feature from when I finally got round to it last weekend.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1502837#1502837

Have this on a Tiguan, had the settings changed in the comfort part of the ecu to flash 5 times, also have it on several other cars and use it All the time, no good for turning around corners or roundabouts but for lane changing it's easier than knocking it on and then knocking it off ?

A bit like auto wipers, they're useless until you drive a car without them and find yourself throwing your arm up and down like a fiddlers elbow ?

I had been wanting to do this for a while and finally got around to fitting the kit.
I bought the VW kit from eBay, same part number as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the new bits fitted behind the instrument binnacle, but managed it in the end.

I know it's a small mod and some hate it but I'm happy to have done it.

:D

Glad you got it fitted and like it, I've still not got round to fitting mine :oops:

stewhp said:
I had been wanting to do this for a while and finally got around to fitting the kit.
I bought the VW kit from eBay, same part number as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the new bits fitted behind the instrument binnacle, but managed it in the end.

I know it's a small mod and some hate it but I'm happy to have done it.

:D

Does this change the indicator noise in anyway please as I already find it quiet?

Unfortunately no it doesn't.

Mine is still extremely quiet too.

:eek:

daybar said:
especially for motorway moves. 3 blinks seems enough

So 2 blinks to warn people before the move, then only 1 more? What if you needed to cross from lane 1 to 3? The whole point of indicating until you've finished the manoeuvre is to let other road users that lane 2, not 3 is your final desired lane change.

Mind you, those DRL headlights going out on one side as a car drives around a corner in broad daylight is another example of quango safety fiddling, where it actually makes more confusion and is less safe, as all it offers is a distraction.

I presume these ill thought out ideas were inherited from EU level and not created by our own DoT?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilovecars
Back