Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 on 400k and counting

Barely ru...... :wack:

Was it just me that noticed the check engine light and brake pad wear indicator light on :hand:

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
Was it just me that noticed the check engine light and brake pad wear indicator light on :hand:

Apparently been on since around 250,000 miles according to the lads from the US. Probably never has the time to bother getting it to a garage to check as it seems to spend most of it's life on the road!

Also there seems to be a problem with the fuel gauge just over half full and a range of 312 miles? I only ever get about 290 miles out of a full tank :dont know:

My record off a full tank is around 465 miles. :dont know:

These were the comments from the owner on the work done

"Same engine and only burns about 1/3 of a quart of oil every 10,000 miles. New mufflers, new radiators, rotors, tires, couple of bearings, oil-air separator. Everything works!"

Not sure what bearings - will check. Still, not bad on an average 25,000 miles a year car.

Reminds me of when I did durability testing for Vauxhall at Millbrook. VM had found out years ago that car engines last very well if you keep running them, the wear generally takes place at cold starts. We let the cars cool down thoroughly each day as part of the test.

It's also why I was happy to buy my year old daily driver at 40k miles, motorway mileage is easy on cars (apart from stone chips etc)

Yes I bet it's not done many shortish journeys like we do in here. Probably has less cold starts on it than a typical UK car!

Spent a year in Australia and the Ford Holden taxis the bad would regularly have upwards of 400,000 mms. Not sure I saw one with less than 100k.

The cars were shared by the drivers 24 hours a day and never cooled down. They were serviced every 20k miles (about once every 4-6 weeks) and had new tyres every 3 months or so.

The key to longevity was keeping them warm - as soon as 1 guys shift was over, the next got in. The seat was still warm, literally.

A friend of mine had an A4 diesel with 366k miles on it without ever having an engine issue.

Even after he got a new Audi he kept his old steed for its novelty value.

He swears by his 8k oil and filter changes and only using shell V-power regime.

patpending said:
A friend of mine had an A4 diesel with 366k miles on it without ever having an engine issue.

Even after he got a new Audi he kept his old steed for its novelty value.

He swears by his 8k oil and filter changes and only using shell V-power regime.

Have run an Audi B5 S4 (chipped) for last 10 years as a daily, up to 180K miles now, replaced the turbos but not much else apart from that. Audi make solid engines it has to be said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back