Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ragpickers Leggy 986 S.. first real problem: page 9

Damage to the loom on that side of the engine? Or high resistance earth. Possibly that is what caused the ecu to be damaged... going to be tricky to find for sure!

Stupid point to make as i'm sure you already have it but you need the chassis number of the donor vehicle for the dme/ alarm CU you have fitted to get the ipas codes from porsche if you ever need to code on a new key fob .

Have you checked the cat and exhaust on that bank Andrew? If a cat is melted or loose it may be possible to cause a misfire. Failing that, and this is a long shot, check the fuel rail on that bank for leaks or rusting/damage/blocking etc. But that is a long shot bearing in mind it is a 986...

Also worth checking for intake leaks on the same bank.

As ever, good luck old bean. :thumb:

But all the stuff I mentioned will not fry an ecu :lol: :floor:

Oops!

Haha cheers Mike!

DeMort, thanks - I can get the chassis number for the car the ECU was from on Durametric, the DME has that chassis number in it :thumb:

Thanks Tom!

Maybe time is giving me the answers here, this morning I fired her up to go to work and had the tell-tale Go-Gadget Smoke Screen....

Would the AOS have caused enough of an air leak to cause the misfires? It certainly could cause the idle issue... :dont know:

Anyway it would have needed disturbing to get to the crank sensor so makes sense to replace it.

AOS .. if it fails and the car smokes then its due to oil not being filtered back to the engine and being dumped into the inlet manifold .

Rule of thumb it will go into every cylinder and you don't tend to get fault codes for misfires let alone all on a single bank .

If the bellows has split ( i'm pretty sure your car doesn't have this but a bent pipe which does not split ) then it would run similar to leaving the oil cap loose .. you could always simulate this as a test but as you have a separate issue IMHO then you cant atm test and get reliable results .

This again would affect both banks ... weak mixture and you Will have fault codes for lambda sensors .

Neither of the above will damage the DME and you have proved that is damaged .

My concern is just what caused the DME to fail .

Nothing wrong with replacing it though .. it may well be on its way out due to the smoke on startup .. but it's not the cause of the fault codes you have posted shall we say :)

Rags not a chance you've melted some of the insulation 'applying heat'? Also have you checked fuses? Any signs of burning or loose connections on the 2 big engine loom plugs?
Sounds like a short, high resistance Earth or high resistance joint to me. What with the damage to the ecu.

Ooooh interesting idea Tom, I'll have a look and see. I have been known to be liberal with the old oxyacetylene so you never know! :grin:

Agree DeMort, something has caused the DME issue.. I've booked her in with my indy to see if he can get to the bottom of it. As I've said before I don't mind twisting spanners but electrickery is best left to someone else!

On the AOS topic, they say a picture speaks a thousand words. This evening I left the work car park, waited for the other cars to leave the car park after me and then closed the gate. I took this pic about 4 minutes after I'd left but the smoke from start up was still there, lingering in the air. The AOS on this car has bellows, they looked dry the other day but I'm betting they aren't now...

48760943256_d2f171d13e_k.jpg

yup .. that's a bit of smoke there .. i've seen worse though :D

Imagine a workshop filled with smoke to the point you struggle to see your hand in front of your face after 30 seconds of it running ... now THAT'S bad lol .

AOS .. just replace .. it's not a big job and sooner or later you will be replacing it anyways ... a secondary fault i would tend to say .

Point out to your garage .. B1 camshaft solenoid and cam sensor .. those are the two items im concerned about .

I could say thats its just about possible the dme just decided to pack up on its own .. im of the opinion it didn't though and something caused it ... 95% certain as i never say 100 % !

Just about .. hmm .. er no .. not IMHO .

Just redid the thread from the top.... is Raggy still in the house?

How's the 986 been treating you?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back