Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Faulty LED On Illuminated Door Entry Guards

TickTockMan

Hi Guys,

The near side light on the door entry guard has developed a fault. When the door is opened the plate will illuminate and flicker for a few seconds before dying out.

Took the car to Nottingham OPC for them to check it out. After a cursory two minute inspection, they said I would need a new unit. I received the quote today £966 for the parts, labour and free car wash! The illuminated door cills can only be bought as a pair.

I have looked around the internet to see if these can taken apart and repaired. I assume that it will be the LED light strip that is faulty so a good auto electrician should be able to fix it. Looking around the internet there is very little information on the subject.

The Cayman is a 2016 model and I've had the car just over two years so the Porsche warranty expired around 6 weeks ago.

Have any of you guys had a similar failure of the LED on the cill guards?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For that price, I'd be taking them out and getting an auto electrician have a crack at fixing that. £1k......for what will be a 2p item that's failing.
If the auto sparky can't fix it, take it to a computer repair shop. Anything but replace them new.
Hopefully either of those 2 guys can sort you out.

Thanks for the reply.
Did no think of a computer repair shop, that could be useful.

I do know of a couple of good auto-electrians who should be able to swap out the LED if that is the fault.
I am trying to find out of the illuminated unit is sealed or not to enable easy access into the inside It is also supposed to be sealed in very securely with adhesive/ double sided tape. I don't want to risk damaging the unit whilst removing it and end up having to buy the new parts.

The technician at the OPC just pulled back the trim a little to check if the plug was connected. There was no opportunity to see more of the interior. As you would expect they would not go into detail on it as they just wanted to swap it out.

Hopefully someone has swapped one of these to knows more about them that can fill in the blanks for me.

Try some of the independent part suppliers.

The problem with these is getting them off without wrecking them as they are really stuck on properly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back