Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911 - Early 2004 3.6 Gen 1

Had a spare bit of time yesterday so got the car back up on the ramps and got the cats off again to trim the extra 10mm off.... also thought I would tackle the silencer mount bolts on the passenger side in case I want to change backboxes in the future, the long one came off fine after a bit of a struggle with the engine mount (it wouldnt undo, and ended up with the threaded section winding out of the mount with the nut stuck fast....) but the small one nearest the bumper was a right old pain! First the nut sheared off from the bottom, no problem I thought, just whack it upwards and out it will pop - oh no... turns out the bolt had welded itself to the spacer that sits in the centre of the mounting pad things (that look like round brillo pads...) and it wasnt going anywhere.. so had to get the angle grinder in (just fitted) as a hacksaw was making no progress... sliced the top of the bolt off and managed to get it all apart. had to make up a new spacer from 5 skateboard bearing spacers (which were luckily the right size...) and substituted the now defunct bolt for a piece of threaded bar.
Once all back together with new cat to manifold gaskets I have to say it sounds terrible... like a biplane. I can only think that its blowing from pretty much everywhere, and that I have probably over tightened the slip joints, so ill order up a new set of dansk joints which handily come with new silencer mounting bolts (currently discounted on ECP) and smother everything in mounting paste/sealant and try again...
I'm embarrassed to drive it at the mo, its horrible. :floor:

Attachments

• img_9302_152.jpg
    img_9302_152.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 3,555
Bit the bullet and decided to chop the rusty, cracked leaky flex sections from the back boxes. Found a place on eBay that sells flexi to bolt over 55mm outside diameter pipe, had a measure to make sure the length was correct and had a pair delivered on Saturday morning 👍 so then once again it was up onto the ramps, bumper off, heat shields off, both boxes off, cats off and then start cutting :floor: the old flex is we're in a terrible state, butvweirdly both boxes are in good condition. Had to cut down one end of each flexi and re cut slots to make sure it sealed correctly on the short section where the old ones were cut off. Don't really like the look of the clamps, but they work.
Had one bolt snap off on the bracket that bolts to the crossmember which holds the cats, drilled and tapped for a new bolts though so no real drama.

So happy I did this, the car is now silent, well not silent but no blowing from anywhere :thumb:

The cats have definitely changed the exhaust sound, there's a noticeable howl at 4K, it's quite addictive and I don't think I'll need a gundo :grin:

Attachments

• 93af336d_9c04_40a1_a7c9_0b5f49ae1d00_924.jpeg
    93af336d_9c04_40a1_a7c9_0b5f49ae1d00_924.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 3,450
  • a12ff68a_9a61_40a6_8884_884709adab6f_654.jpeg
    a12ff68a_9a61_40a6_8884_884709adab6f_654.jpeg
    881.9 KB · Views: 3,450
  • 6c4335fd_6f19_4c7f_b3f2_0567ad18ea9b_940.jpeg
    6c4335fd_6f19_4c7f_b3f2_0567ad18ea9b_940.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,450
  • 45966394_40de_44bd_bb65_f0c377325f07_932.jpeg
    45966394_40de_44bd_bb65_f0c377325f07_932.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,450
  • 1a561006_c0d8_4e58_8c2f_16778c48bd95_126.jpeg
    1a561006_c0d8_4e58_8c2f_16778c48bd95_126.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,450
pretty boring update this week, just replaced the frunk and engine lid festoon lamps with led versions, not because of the light but to save me burning my fingers on the hot lamp when I pull them out whilst working in that area! (yes, seriously I am that clumsy!) :floor:

This thread fills me with a warm feeling Justin. Great to see all the good things you are doing.

Mark

This is actually SausageCreature posting this here ... Hi everyone. Not sure how this is happening. Systech sent me the link to this thread, knowing that I would be interested in reading it.

I was, I did. I decided to reply. To my horror, the simple copy and paste that Systech sent me has copied his session token (or something like that) and enabled me to post as Systech. All I did was simply clicking on the link he sent to me so I could read this thread.

Major flaw.

I wonder how many people have posted links to these threads of facebook at al. allowing others to access their profiles and post whatever they like.

Mark

Hi Mark (in disguise :lol: :lol: ) that is a worry. I always have an issue on this forum with having to log in each time I visit, the cookies dont set correctly..

Will drop you an email :thumb: hope you are doing ok, i'm trying ot take care of her as best I can :thumbs:

Justin

systech1 said:
This is actually SausageCreature posting this here ... Hi everyone. Not sure how this is happening. Systech sent me the link to this thread, knowing that I would be interested in reading it.

I was, I did. I decided to reply. To my horror, the simple copy and paste that Systech sent me has copied his session token (or something like that) and enabled me to post as Systech. All I did was simply clicking on the link he sent to me so I could read this thread.

Major flaw.

I wonder how many people have posted links to these threads of facebook at al. allowing others to access their profiles and post whatever they like.

Mark

This is the real SYSTECH1 here ;-) This does seem like a security flaw. I have deleted the FB post with the link but would be interested to hear what the site administrators have to say. :D

systech1 said:
This is the real SYSTECH1 here ;-) This does seem like a security flaw. I have deleted the FB post with the link but would be interested to hear what the site administrators have to say. :D

This post has been referred to Site Admin for review/comment.

Attachments

• img_9573_179.jpg
    img_9573_179.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 3,036
Had a spare couple of hours so decided to get a couple of jobs done that were bugging me... first off tidy up the practical but not very nice to look at exhaust clamps... my wife was the starter on this one 'what have you done to the back of your car it looks horrible' :lol: :lol: :lol: she was referring to the silver clamps I used to replace the flexi sections, I hadn't noticed them but she had seen them hanging from underneath the car, and once she pointed them out my ocd wouldn't leave them where they were, so slacked the off one at a time, rotated 90 degrees towards the front of the car and retightened. Also moved the cat supports round by 90 degrees and it looks much better thanks wifey :thumb:

Attachments

• 6cb57cc5_8d72_4e99_923f_e66d9c97a4da_769.jpeg
    6cb57cc5_8d72_4e99_923f_e66d9c97a4da_769.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 2,957
Also decide to swap out my reversing camera for one that mounts a bit flusher into the bumper, so it's almost impossible to see from the rear when you look at the car. As a bonus it also point slightly 'up' more, so the camera view is a bit more useful than before. As with a lot of jobs it seemed pretty simple, as I specifically bought a camera that used the same connector as the one I was replacing, but as with most things in life it did t prove simple at all as the connectors were wired completely differently :sad: so it was once again off with the interior carpet panels and thread a new wire through to the rear tailight then up to the head unit.... :lol:
Took a lot longer than planned but glad I did it
:thumb:

Attachments

• ad81a328_eed9_45b7_bb59_40e6d01ab38e_191.jpeg
    ad81a328_eed9_45b7_bb59_40e6d01ab38e_191.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 3,879
Hertsdriver said:
Little mod on Saturday, changed the front side lights out for some led ones as they looked a bit odd and 'yellow' next to the Xenon's.
£10 for 4 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D8RCW2H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No errors, new on the left, old on the right for comparison :thumb:

I swapped mine out today for the ones you used, works fine on the offside, won't work on the nearside. The original bulb will but when replacing with the LED it won't. Any ideas anyone?

Cannop said:
Hertsdriver said:
Little mod on Saturday, changed the front side lights out for some led ones as they looked a bit odd and 'yellow' next to the Xenon's.
£10 for 4 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D8RCW2H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No errors, new on the left, old on the right for comparison :thumb:

I swapped mine out today for the ones you used, works fine on the offside, won't work on the nearside. The original bulb will but when replacing with the LED it won't. Any ideas anyone?

Did you try the new bulb both ways ?
They only work one way :thumb:

Good point well made :thumb:

I tried three different bulbs but didn't try them both ways, with my luck I fitted all three with the wrong orientation!

I'll give it another go later today, many thanks.

Thats bad luck Cannop! I cant imagine the odds of trying 3 different bulbs and putting them all in the wrong way around, but as has been said they do only work one way around so should just be a case of retrying :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back