Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Repairing Paint chips & scratches

Chucky

Just wanted to get some advise on paint touch-up's and different brands people have used.
I've got some small chips on the front bumper and a good chip on the edge of the door. The worst is on the underside of the front bumper where some deep scratches have occurred.
I tried the the OEM Porsche touch-up paint (L92U Arctic silver), but it's much darker than the original color. Almost gun metal gray
Any advise / experiences welcome.
Thanks.

A difficult problem to reply to without seeing the damage to your Arctic Silver paintwork.
So some general points.

Metallic colours are more difficult to colour match than solid colours.
For aluminium pigmented colours such as yours, the size of aluminium flakes is important but even more important is the way the flakes lie in the paint film. How the colour is applied is therefore critical.
Bodyshops will use professional sprayguns to apply the colour coat. Spraybooth temperature, humidity and air movement will all have an effect on the colour achieved. To mask the effects of all these variables, repairs are normally blended into adjacent panels in order to hide any colour difference.

It might be possible to repair a chip on the door edge at home, but I'm afraid deep scratches will need to be repaired professionally to achieve the quality I'm sure you want for your car.
Very light scratches in the clearcoat can sometimes be polished out.

If the areas are not too extensive, Chips Away can do local repairs and I understand they do a reasonable job.

Paint Quality : OEM supplier to Porsche is probably BASF who are branded Glasurit for refinish paints.
I've been out of the business a few years now so not 100% sure of this.
The point here though is to ensure quality paints are used for significant repairs.
I'm sure you've seen repaired bonnets with the clearcoat delaminating - cheap paint.

Sorry for such a pessimistic reply.

I think I live about 5 miles from you, pm me if you'd like me to take a look.

Stewart

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back