Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Collected my 997.1 GT3 today!

Senoj said:
I got BF'd at Snetterton ...

TBH, pretty much everyone has. And in my case it was the last time I went there (casts mind back - bloody hell : that was a long time ago).

:paperbag:

Regarding the belt/alternator noise: I had a similar noise on my 2007 GT3 (almost a chirping noise, like a cricket) which got louder when the engine was hot. I suspected the bearings in a tensioner pulley, but it was narrowed-down to the alternator, which was duly replaced. Noise gone.

Y2K said:
Just read this thread from start to finish. Brilliant 8)

Disco said:
Senoj said:
I got BF'd at Snetterton ...

TBH, pretty much everyone has. And in my case it was the last time I went there (casts mind back - bloody hell : that was a long time ago).

:paperbag:

So far I've only been BF'd at Goodwood (and Oulton I think it was). I clearly wasn't trying hard enough at Snetterton :grin:

DrNo said:
Regarding the belt/alternator noise: I had a similar noise on my 2007 GT3 (almost a chirping noise, like a cricket) which got louder when the engine was hot. I suspected the bearings in a tensioner pulley, but it was narrowed-down to the alternator, which was duly replaced. Noise gone.

Did you reuse the old belt, or did they change that when they changed the alternator? :wink:

I'll find out for sure if it's the belt or not when I get that changed in a couple of months. The LSD seals are misting (it's been 6 years since upgrading to the Motorsport LSD pack) and so is the RMS (I think that was done 6 or 7 years ago too), so I'm having everything sorted at the same time

Roro said:
Did you reuse the old belt, or did they change that when they changed the alternator? :wink:

The belt was replaced in December during a major service, less than 2k miles ago, and the alternator was replaced under warranty less than a month ago, so I suspect the original belt will have been used, but can't say for certain as I never get to see any paperwork for warranty jobs. I just get handed my keys back with an "It's all done"... I didn't even know it had had a new alternator until I lifted the deck lid and saw something shiny in there!

Must remember to ask more questions :?:

DrNo said:
Roro said:

The belt was replaced in December during a major service, less than 2k miles ago, and the alternator was replaced under warranty less than a month ago, so I suspect the original belt will have been used, but can't say for certain as I never get to see any paperwork for warranty jobs. I just get handed my keys back with an "It's all done"... I didn't even know it had had a new alternator until I lifted the deck lid and saw something shiny in there!

Must remember to ask more questions :?:

That's a result, easily £1k in itself (at OPC rates). I'd keep quiet :grin:

Roro said:
I was looking for the uber9s cans on their website but couldn't find them :dont know:

I've removed them temporarily since our fabricator seems to have gone AWOL for now.

I was at Snetts last week with the ACT cans & had no problems. The previous noise Nazi has been replaced by a much jollier fellow who expects all GT3s to only rev to 4K stationary - is that some new thing on the 991? In any event, my car actully does only rev to 4K stationary - I measured 100dB :thumbs:

Just for reference, my 996 GT3 passed Snett noise limits and driveway limits pretty easily. It is running standard engine/exhaust.

Hi Nick. The problem I have with the ACT cans is the paranoia that they might just fall off! Which is why your Uber9s part looked interesting. You've inspired me though, I'm thinking of cannibalising my ACT and Decibel Devils and having a local fabricator do a DIY version of yours :) Hmm... risk is that I destroy both my sets of cans and end up buying yours anyway :?:

Thanks LaSource, was that the same car (996) that used the cans at Silly? Couldn't have been too noisy there with a standard exhaust/engine? I'm (still) also wondering if I should just return my exhaust to standard, a lot less hassle generally with the nazis, should be able to book any trackday I want and not have to think about noise (well on 105 days anyway) ... :pc: :frustrated:

The car is now 12 years old, so a few mundane things inevitably needed doing

Corroded coolant crossover pipes

Apparently this is a common issue with all 997's, but I never knew that until my OPC did a health check following an oil service a couple of months ago, and wanted to charge me ££thousands for replacing these pipes. Fortunately the car had already just passed its MOT and there was no urgency, so I decided to wait until I could see Matt at Porschacare to do the work. I missed Snetterton as a result of finding this issue, can't get too upset about it though as it's probably best not do a trackday when the coolant pipes are not tip top... I'm surprised how badly these have corroded in 12 years and 42k miles, but I hear that these are quite clean - the corrosion is normally a lot worse!

Leaking RMS

The car already had an RMS replacement 6/7 years ago while under warranty. However during an inspection a few months back we discovered that the newer RMS was now leaking. The leak wasn't really too bad, but I'd rather not have oil drips on the garage floor so decided it was best to replace this seal. Let's see how long the new part lasts. It's a revised 997 seal with an updated metal ring that helps the seal fit better

Leaking diff seals

This has been bothering me for a number of years. The replacement Motorsport diff pack was originally fitted by RPM in 2013 for around £1300, and I noticed that they were leaking a little maybe a year or so later. The leak wasn't major but there was definitely some misting from the flanges and onto the undertray, so I thought I would wait until more work needed doing and do everything in one go. Car feels a bit slicker now, must be the new refreshed oils that went in

While we were in there we thought it made sense for a general clean up of the underbody. The brake lines were starting to go a bit crusty, so those and the whole underbody had a good brush up and wax oyl renewal (OPC did it in 2013, time for a refresh)

Donington is the only track I've managed to do so far this year, a couple months back now. Really enjoyed that track, will definitely be heading there again at some point. Had some great pax laps, with Chris and his yellow GT4 as well as Cunno. As mentioned I was planning to do Snetterton but the above work needed doing on the car, so decided to PP that. Circuit Days gave me a credit which was good of them, means I only lost the hotel I'd paid for and not the trackday fee. Would be nice to do Anglesey if I can later in the year, or maybe even Donington again if a suitable date comes up. Would be nice to try Donington without that GP extension of the circuit, circuit would flow better without those dull extra hairpins

Attachments

• 6c3a8367_3501_429b_90b4_e0cbe364ab3f_246.jpeg
    6c3a8367_3501_429b_90b4_e0cbe364ab3f_246.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7,666
Couple pics from Donington

Attachments

• c15dc2af_6e9f_4f97_8f7e_ad4fbf19fd8e_409.jpeg
    c15dc2af_6e9f_4f97_8f7e_ad4fbf19fd8e_409.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,655
  • 74e923a1_9469_4899_862e_183c5b4b51c8_200.jpeg
    74e923a1_9469_4899_862e_183c5b4b51c8_200.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7,655
That white car looks the dogs :grin:

Cunno said:
That white car looks the dogs :grin:

It does indeed. I was going to say black is faster but not with me behind the wheel :grin:

I'm thinking Silverstone Monday 4/11 with circuit days, just need to check I can get that day off work

When is a spring not a spring?

When it's a broken spring!

Took the car for the annual health check at CG last month and discovered that a rear spring was cracked. Cue shiny new springs fitted today ...

Everything else is tip top, looking forward to Donny next month 8)

PS good meeting another 911uk'er (MJ...?) :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back