Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I change the shocks

love154

Trainee
Hi my car is in having the top mounts and bearings done and been told the shock are rusty. Car is a 2009 so should I just change the shocks why it's all being done. There are no leaks and it fills fine. What's the life of these shocks.

Thanks

The shocks on my 1998 996.1 C2 are just fine according to testing on the vibrations analysis at Centre Gravity, the defacto Porsche suspension Gurus :grin:

So are the PASM shocks on my 2006 Boxster S :D

Are yours PASM or standard Bilsteins :?:

Dampers

I have a 2006 C4, my dampers tested fine but I decided to replace them with B4's when I recently switched to Eibach springs.

I don't know how long the dampers had been on the car, possibly from new and 70,000 miles, or what contribution the new springs made, but the difference now is night and day in terms of ride quality.

So the car is 10 years old, but you don't mention the miles or how long you've owned the car.

That the top mounts need replacing is no surprise at that age, so likely that the shocks have worn somewhat, but they may still have some life in them.
However if you have the budget for it and can replace with original specification or better, plus you're going to keep the car, then new ones will provide an improvement. Often one that is night and day in terms of ride and handling ....

:)

Buy some shocks online & when they come to do the job, get them to check them out. If they're tired or goosed fit the new ones, if not, return them.

I've recently fit new front shocks and top mounts. Although the 18 year old originals still worked, I could move the shaft up and down by hand. The new ones are solid.

Its now highlighted the fact my rears are needing changing, especially when hard braking at 3 figures.

If I bounce my front its rock solid. If I bounce my rear theres a couple of bounces before it settles.....until next week :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back