Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Cayenne owner

If the brakes have been changed then i would suspect the .. er .. rather cheap mechanic changed the brakes but not the sensor wires .

What you have there is a bypass .. wires twisted together makes the car think the pads are fine .. on a normal sensor then as the pads wear it cuts through the wires , when an open circuit happens you get the brake warning light on .

Btw .. when you remove the caliper on these undo the screws that hold the pipe to the upright arm , allen key and a Torx at the top from memory .... pretty obvious but as i'm here already .....

Thanks, will do. Going to change them in a week or so.

Achieved my highest miles per tank yet on a week away up north - 475 miles! Cost £120 for that mind you!!!

I also sprayed my spare gearshift surround as I wasn't happy with the finish on the replacement one I bought and fitted. I sanded it back then done a few coats of primer, some top coats of silver wheel paint then 3 coats of clear lacquer. Looks much better now.

Attachments

• gear_surround_110.jpg
    gear_surround_110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7,281
Changed all the brake discs and pads on Friday. Glad I had access to a four post lift, no way I could have done it in the driveway. It turns out the rears had the sensor bodge done to them too, although they had completely removed the sensors from the pads on those ones. Nice that they completely disregarded safety. They used Mintex brake pads which is why I think they never refitted the old sensors to the rears - ironically the anti-squeal backing bit covers the little recess that the sensor fits into so you would have had to try and cut this off to fit the sensor. Getting the old bolts that hold the calipers on was the toughest bit with the rears being the worst due to access. A lot of stuff gets in the way back there! I also had to go and buy a 16mm spline set to get the bolts off. Not sure why they used these at the back but not at the front?!

Anyway, new discs, pads, fitting kit and sensors all on and working great. I used Brembo pads and Pagid discs and they all seem to be good quality. MOT on Thursday so hopefully all should go well for that.

Forgot to update this a few months back. Mot passed with just one advisory for corroded/greasy/muddy brake lines. A bizarre one - corrosion is far more serious than mud, so which is it Mr MOT tester?!

Not much been happening with the car lately apart from using lots of fuel. I did fit a new genuine Cayenne boot badge in black which has smartened up the back end. Started polishing the front end using my new DA polisher which has improved the paint work condition. Just need to try and get my rear sensors working again.....

And car now sold. Stuck it up for sale yesterday thinking it would take a few weeks/months to sell and it sold the next day. Hopefully the new owner finds his way onto here.

Thanks for all the help and advice over the last few months chaps.

It's hard to be happy when any owner moves on , Cayenne is a pretty darn good car although some of the faults can be expensive .

A good example will sell quick .

Don't be a stranger :)

Cheers and thanks for all your invaluable help and advice with the car over the last year. You are a fantastic resource and one of the strengths of this excellent forum. Hopefully I'll be back in the future with a 911 but I am heading back to Alfa ownership for the timebeing.

I have listed some items I have surplus that I am selling on ebay so take a look in the classifieds section here for more details.

I found this post accidentally and I'm glad I did because it's about my situation right now. Same as the author I have about 11 speed bumps on the way to my work and also back but not only with the Cayenne they're and issue. Now I have a Cayenne, but my last car was a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and I can say that it was still a headache to drive over them. When I sold it, the buyer wanted to check mot history because somehow I mentioned all this and well, it's true, that the damage is inevitable. I'll check the mot status of the Cayenne soon, so we'll see how this affected the car.

Alex00W said:
I found this post accidentally and I'm glad I did because it's about my situation right now. Same as the author I have about 11 speed bumps on the way to my work and also back but not only with the Cayenne they're and issue. Now I have a Cayenne, but my last car was a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and I can say that it was still a headache to drive over them. When I sold it, the buyer wanted to check mot history because somehow I mentioned all this and well, it's true, that the damage is inevitable. I'll check the mot status of the Cayenne soon, so we'll see how this affected the car.

I have the same problem, but I don't bother about it anymore because it's useless. Speed bumps are everywhere and I got used to that.

Great thread. I've looked at cheap Cayenne's loads of times. Ideally would like the 3.2 as my daily driver. Don't mind a bit of DIY on small issues. It's just getting it past the wife as I have the 997 and a cheap BMW estate for work.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back