Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clear front indicators

AtariBoy

Could someone explain the various OE options for the front fog lights and indicators please.

I appreciate that the fog light removal to air ducts were standard for the RS model.
Were clear (instead of orange) indicators ever OE? Perhaps in the later 1993 cars or are they aftermarket, owner upgrades?

Many thanks,

All after market. I've seen last 964s with the amber indicators.

I replaced mine with clear from type911 and then replaced all of the bulbs from bergville fx to go to led. I didnt love the clear repeaters with the amber normal bulbs they didn't look right as you can see black spot from bulb in repeater. The amber leds are white though so i think are better with clear repeaters. Otherwise clear just looks better in my view and removes another colour to make the front look cleaner.

I dont think clear ones are as well made but obviously they are also a lot cheaper.

It is about 30-60 mins diy job to replace them all. Hardest bit are side repeaters as you dont have much wire to play around with and get bulbs into new covers.

Led bulbs replacement and the new relay (to stop lower current draw making indicators flash too fast) is about another hour.

I dont know how many types of clear indicators there are they all looked same to me when i was buying.

Thank you for your reply and information.
If your car is in guards red, would you mind posting a photo?

Many thanks

Sure is this okay? If you look very closely at side repeater on wing you'll see the black dot from the amber bulb as this was before i swapped it out for an led. Now you cant see the black dot, it all looks clear.

Attachments

• img_20190317_061534_2320x1740_190.jpg
    img_20190317_061534_2320x1740_190.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 8,395
Thank you Stephen, really appreciated!
Car looks great, I agree the clear lenses improves the aesthetics of the car.

Thanks. Just make sure you keep old ones safe. I've seen a number of adverts recently that make a point of saying they have the amber lights as a selling point. Also they might be like the d90s and become more fashionable in a few years.

Good point about keeping the original lights.

Did you ned to 'alter' the wiring or connectors when upgrading to LED bulbs or can you go back to OE without any sign?

No wiring changes, just straight swap of bulbs and swapping one relay. Easy to reverse.

Funny how fashion and tastes change....I bought my 964T almost 9yrs ago and for all-but 6mths of that, it's been undergoing an engine project (plus other stuff, all detailed over on Pelican's Engine forum).

One of the first easy jobs I did when I bought it was to buy the clear lens repeaters (with mirrored orange bulbs), along with reflectors and indicators. And its remained thus for the whole time...so now I've got my car on the road again and using it normally for fun days out, I grabbed my box of original amber lights back out from the loft...part of my sort-out....and been scratching my chin as to whether to refit them for that more classic, young-timer look. I changed one side first, did a Left v Right photo, sent to a bunch of mates and my (petrolhead) girlfriend...unanimous opinions that it looks way better with ambers. I also agree, it gives the car some definition; with Horizon Blue and clear lenses, to me, it looks a bit bland and modern-car looking....

Before...

59318961555__050CE6BF-17C1-4F6F-A2FD-D0E2B43E569F.jpg

After...

IMG_8203%202.jpg

IMG_8207%202.jpg

My debate now is whether to switch out the brake ducts and get some original foglights....but bloody hell they're expensive (£350 each plus trim covers, plus screws/spacers)

My Jubi came with clear lenses but fortunately had the original amber ones in the trunk. I switched back to amber as they look more in keeping with the age of the car IMHO

Most people go the brake air duct route due to the EXPENSIVE cost of the fog lamp units :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back