Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Le Train Bleu

Or Gold Centred Speedlines... drop me a PM if interested. :thumb:

Great blog. Some great mods and it's looking cool with the RS kit and lowered stance.

C.

pierrebear said:
I don't know how to get the pictures rotated...HELP!!

Yes, my neck hurts, but worth the effort :grin: .

Car looks great, I love posts like these.

I'm lucky to only live about half an hour or so from Christian, so he's been looking after my car since he set up on his own a few years ago. I second everything you say, top guy, top work and there can't be anything he doesn't know about 993s to the nth degree.

It sounds like he did the parallel job on your suspension to what he did on mine a couple of months ago, refreshed, rebushed and new Konis - Special Actives for me (the successor to FSDs), well priced from Gert - another tip top outfit. I'm also really happy with the new suspension and echo what you've said - it steers better, corners well with little body roll and not at all harsh, almost perfect. Christian's not a huge fan of Konis though, I think he likes something a bit more hard-core, but he was happy to give me what I wanted. I know @Tim993 (another CS customer) is not getting on with them either and is considering a change - I think the extra weight and extra additional shove of the Turbo is perhaps a bit much for them, on a C2 993 I think they work great.

Credit to you Pierre for tackling those big ticket items at once! What a cool transformation - your car is looking brilliant 8). The side skirts, whilst subtle, really do beef up the stance... 8)

pierrebear said:
Jersey, especially on summer days, does lend itself well to some half decent pics
...but it's a shame the forum software doesn't! :pc: You may be better off uploading images to imgur.com/upload and then linking them here, rather than attaching them to your posts :thumb:.

Great post.

You've got me thinking about my suspension now. Whilst it was given a clean bill of health by CG last year, I did notice it felt a bit crashy whilst in Spain a couple of weeks ago.

Loving the RS spoiler!

It looks amazing mate and car looks lower as its on 17s, looks perfect.. I would keep those wheels

Normski298 said:
You've got me thinking about my suspension now.

For me suspension upgrade is best thing I have done, car feels like it was made in 2019.. brand new, so perfect. Im sure others will agree

Great story, thanks for sharing :bandit:

Yes, a really good read. Love the photos - chiropractor told me to keep exercising my neck and this was a good workout.

And now I know why Christian has been delayed in getting back to me following a clutch replacement, and headlight upgrade. Yes, I have the same upgrade and to say the lights are good is an understatement.

Crikey!! Thanks so much to all of you for the responses. Dealing with them in turn.

Tyinsky - cheers, mate. Not quite a 4.0 rebuild but the plan is to gradually get her mechanically sorted out and make a couple of tweaks to personalise her to my personal tastes. I'm sure I've been permanently blackballed by the Illuminati, but never mind!

stillchill99 and cableguy - I like your style. Need to let the wallet recover from its recent hammering first, but yes that might well be on the cards.

martinfc - glad you've had a positive experience with Christian too. He really isn't keen on the Konis but it works perfectly well for me.

chetman - the side skirts surprised me the most! I'd barely registered them in pics on the internet, but in real life they look *amazing*!

Normski298 - I agree with 911livin. Suspension makes a huge difference but, in fairness, mine was totally knackered.

911livin - thanks, mate! Still tempted by 18"s but I really like the current look. It is a Carrera with the RS aerokit, not a replica and I think it looks good as it currently is.

jonttt -

:thumb:

hopeydaze (and everyone else) - sorry about the neck. Clutch might be on the cards for next year for me. The headlights are incredible. Mind you, I got flashed 3 times driving home the other night by people who thought I was particularly bright...and that was just Tore's BergvillFX HID kit!

nice indeed to see another 993 being put right
:thumbs:

I suspect you had to swallow the brave pill for all those lovely new parts!

Re suspension:

you can certainly count me as a Koni-nay-sayer - :nooo:

the car handled best on KW V3s, but springs were just too hard for UK roads

I'm probably going to end up back with original Porsche parts

I bought the car when it was 11 years old on its original dampers and they were pretty useless, so I do have a slight fear the 'new original' parts might not last very long...

ideally though i'd find a set of springs and dampers for the S
:grin:

Thanks, tim993.

As noted earlier, it might be that the turbo's needs are greater given the extra grunt and weight...Konis are working well for me so far though.

You might actually have more luck now with Porsche parts than before. My understanding is that the cars originally had Monroe dampers which, even in those days, were not all that great. I think Porsche Classic now do revised suspension dampers (at a price, naturally) which are essentially Bilstein B6s. Have you previously tried Bilsteins?

Hi pierrebear

I havn't tried Biltsteins - I did consider them before plumping for KW and can't exactly recall why I ruled them out. It may have been something to do with springs needing to be cable tied into the mounts, so they don't come out of register when jacking. Its probably on a thread somewhere buried deep in this forum.:dont know:

Interesting that you think the new parts are actually Bilsteins - a friend went for these on his targa and I understand he is very happy with them.

993 suspension is such a minefield though with all those links at the rear and the interaction with the suspension top mounts and the engine mounts. and every parts costs an arm and a leg :sad:

In many ways I wish I'd bought a complete set of new parts from Porsche - before they doubled everything - and then I'd have been done with it... back to factory spec and really that's the best one should wish for, I think!

Recently I noticed that this little "rubber nipple" (as I've christened it) - just inside the driver's side door had perished and was about to fall off. With a looming sense of dread, I phoned Swindon OPC...and was quoted £3.19 for the replacement which was in stock. All sorted now...even managed to install it myself :D

Attachments

• 41_182.jpg
    41_182.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,829
Very annoyingly I managed to pick up a nasty stone chip...right below the windscreen wipers the day that I picked the car up from Christian. Given the heat at the time, it turned into a full-on crack almost immediately (and long before I had a chance to get it sorted by anyone).

Cue a new windscreen....and the usual scuttle rust issues. I am well aware of the pitfalls that can befall 993 owners if the screen isn't fitted properly etc.

Eventually, I managed to find a local body shop that has done quite a few 911 restorations over the years and got it addressed without it costing both an arm and a leg... pictures attached. To rub salt into the wounds, it would appear that someone had previously used fibreglass to fill in a hole in the scuttle...so I had that cut out and properly addressed.

For reference, the windscreen was replaced (under previous ownership) by Autoglass in 2013 and clearly not to a very high standard...I guess this is what the scuttle might look like 6 years later if not done properly?

Attachments

• 42_115.jpg
    42_115.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 43_171.jpg
    43_171.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 44_171.jpg
    44_171.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 45_545.jpg
    45_545.jpg