Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSM Failure, ABS Failure, Drive off Assistant failure -

Sorry guys.
Yes the issue was resolved.
Replaced the battery and all errors have gone.
Oddly i don't think the coolant was a red herring!

When the coolant dipped low and the warning light came on, i immediately switched off the engine to prevent any damage....from that moment i was doomed as i'm told every time you switch on the engine, it takes 20mins with the engine running for the battery to re-coup what it lost on the start. Up till then i had been going for mainly short drives and in fact the oil level warning light came on 1 week before. In trying not to overfill the oil, I would top up a little, switch the engine on, get a read, switch the engine off and top up again, and switch on the engine....the joys of having a digital dipstick (why Porsche, why?!)

Anyway, all this starting and immediately switching off the engine really took it's toll on my battery and upon replacing it, i've not had any issues since. And more importantly i'm a little more careful about switching on the engine! :puh:

Oh and yeah i managed to jump start the 911 with my wife's 1.4, it took around 15mins though!

Sorry again F O R N O U P D A T E

Hey ryad58 good to hear from you and thanks for the update.

to avoid mullering anymore batteries, not being funny but try this ...

top up oil, switch on engine.....go for a drive....switch off..have a beer...then take oil reading

works for me but just stick to the one beer :)

Alex said:
Also, have you had your battery disconnected??

If I remember correctly, page 263 of your owner's manual states something like:

After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.
This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:
1. Start the engine.
2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.
3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.
Have the fault remedied.
4. After the warnings disappear:
Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.

Take it for a spin round the block and that should clear it.

So glad I read this Alex. I had the interior apart today for a deep clean after a French road trip. A bit of sand, a few random crisps etc. Put it all back together and this message came up on the screen about PSM failure. To cut the story, copied your advice and within 100m it cleared. Better than the other options I've been reading about a lot of brake brushes failing causing the same type of message. Seems there's plenty of people crying out for a recall on the affected part .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back