Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 oil preferences

opv

Hi All
As the title suggests which oil you think favours a 964 C2. Currently I am using the genuine classic porsche oil which I'm happy with but it's rather pricey.
Cheers

Definitely a popcorn question!

I think any good quality oil and frequent changes will meet most requirements for road use.

I use Mobil 2000 Semi Synthetic, and change it every 6 months.

In the 997 I use fancy Millers nano, but still change it every 6 months.

FWIW mine gets changed yearly and normally with Shell Helix 10-40, but the yearly mileage is fairly low, ~2500-3000.

Mark

I use Millers Nano-drive nowadays.
I was using Mobil but always had pickup on the sump magnets.
Third oil change this last weekend and every time there hasn't been any trace on the magnets.
Just my observation. :thumb:

Which Millers are you using OOI?

Millers Nano-drive 5-40CFS and Millers EP80/90 GL4 for the gearbox.
Everyone has a preference with oil, so i'm hesitant to sing praises for the above. I can only go by my own testing and experience. The recent trackday proved to me that my choice was sound.
Each to their own and all that. Opie oils were offering discounts on the above I noticed.

Thanks, agreed re preferences. I still think how often you change it is as important as what you put in it.

I think people change their oil more often than needed. I get the theory behind it, however these oil manufacturers spend an awful lot of time and effort developing a product that will last at least a year in all but race conditions. The things I always change more often which most don't is the fuel filter and brake and clutch fluid. The clutch one is so often overlooked. :thumb:

I use Magnatec 10w40, I have always had good results with it and certainly no issue in my 964, I went with this after finding a few others using this. I do plan to go to a 10w50 or 10w60 next, just to experiment really, probably millers as I use the stuff in my 997. (NT+ 10/50)

Mark,
The 10/60 Mobil is what I was using and got lots of pickup on the magnets.
On the track you could feel the difference in the engine. Millers was so different by comparison.

I have no idea when my clutch or PDAS we're properly bled tbh. I have a motive bleeder sitting at home, waiting for motive-ation......

Chief said:
Mark,
The 10/60 Mobil is what I was using and got lots of pickup on the magnets.
On the track you could feel the difference in the engine. Millers was so different by comparison.

Millers everything it is!

I recently put Mobil 1 in the Cayenne, after putting it in the Boxster, I wasn't sure about it then and wasn't sure about it now, it's just a mine field when looking for other options but I really should have just gone millers, it's good for my 997 and MX5T.

Next time!! :worship:

Hermes hit the nail on the head when he decreed oil choice to be a popcorn question...Well.... get it out then.. (-:

When I did a bit of spanering for a m/cycle racing pal way back when, I ever remember the smell of Castrol R that hung around the race tracks of the time, mostly used in old Manx Nortons Velocette Thruxtons and other older bikes which by the day were becoming outnumbered and outperformed by ever more Jap machinery turning up at events... "R" was a vegetable based oil and stuck to everything leaving the usual incontinent old Brit engines looking a tad messy at times. Often folk would put a drop of "R" in the petrol tank of their street m/cyles to give of that very definite aroma of running on "R"... (-:

I can remember well when Duckhams Q guys turned up at the tracks telling us this wonderful new thick and green looking oil was quite the best thing for ALL machinery, even the old "R" addicts gave it a go.. From a dull memory Castrol not long after came on scene with GTX... though a friend used it and ended up with a degree of emulsification visible on the underside of the filler cap, and changing to "Q" that quickly cleared up so we stuck with Duckhams Q for as long as it was available.

By the time I was into Porsche by way of a 69 912, the recommended oil was Castrol CRI 30 according to my Haynes manual ... But then I suspect Haynes may have had an arrangement with Castrol at the time... dunno for sure. CRI 30 was not readily available and at the time folk were FAR less fussy about oil, me included, it was an air cooled engine and my bikes did well enough on Duckhams so that would do.... and it did.

Moving on a few years till I bought my first 911 an SC and I was a tad more fussy about using Porsche approved lubricants, which I did, sorry can`t remember what it was... Duh! though anybody with a 77 SC could find it in their handbook... Then Porsche decided that Mobil 1 was the oil of choice for all 911`s... I was concerned enough to write to Porsche being uncomfortable with what seemed like a sudden change in brand and type of oil , they did reply with more than enough information to confuse me into submission...

By the time I gave up on Porsche for fun mileage and became a born again biker circa the late 90`s such was the changes in engine design and materials used, that choosing the correct oil seemed to have become a bit of a minefield... Much as it still seems to be today...?

You can still buy Castrol R and other "Classic" oil in classic cans, and no doubt at Classic prices, however I do remember buying a Ford with no gearbox drain plug... My first education relative to filled for life design, which it seems has moved on to a stage where it seems it is possible to re-use some synthetic oils time and again if you send it off for cleaning in order to re use it...!!!!

All of which causes me to wonder exactly where we might be in terms of best protection in terms of lubricant choices.... It seems Porsche were pushing Mobil 1 in the 90`s for everything air cooled up to then, so I guess the 3.2 Carrera and Turbo fell into that grouping too..?

Ok so I`m now into unknown territory, I`m guessing that the 964 although air cooled is hotter running engine than those that came before though obviously still air cooled but with cats (?) which may have added to the possible rise in temperature related to trying to create a more lean burn situation to improve upon emissions, and thus it also seems logical(?) that an engine running significantly hotter might benefit from an oil more suited to running in a different environment from all it`s previous air cooled brethren...? If any of that adds up, then it would seem the 993 would perhaps have the same grade of oil recommended...? I guess the answer is to be found in your Porsche handbooks supplied with your cars...?

As for those who wish to recommend other oils.... Hmm, do they have a deal with a supplier or are they really experienced in rebuilding Porsche engines and seen and monitored the effects of different oil use within engines they have a good idea of the way they have been run before being stripped....Hmm..?

As for Porsche dealership recommendations ??? I suspect they are up to their ears in watercooled maintenance and have been for many a year now, so who knows what they might suggest is THE oil to use in any air cooled Porsche...? Thinking back to the days of Mobil 1 for everything..? What about indy`s do they carry different oil brands for different cars or is it possible they may have a supply arrangement.... after all business is business..and it can be a serious business...?

Were I running an air cooled Porsche up to the 3.2 generation, I guess I would be using Mobil 1 if still available or whatever modern equivalent thereof....I am old school thus would be changing my oil annually regardless, of much else......Though admitting that Chief is probably correct that doing so may not be necessary, but a bit of overkill could be considered as a reasonable Insurance given the cost of even a partial rebuild..... But I am keen to learn from anyone who thinks differently and why they do so....(-:

If you are going to nail your colours to the mast on an oil type/brand then I suspect you may be best to be sure you identify your engine type...?

As ever, just thinking in type..

A very interesting read sir. I think we have all skirted around naming or shaming various oils.
It is a bit of a moving target, which I think is the conclusion you have rightly come too. I think you just have to experiment to see what suits you and dependant on how leaky you engine is what grade to plumb for.
Change it and the filter as often as you can afford or feel you should. It can't do any harm can it!
I still stand by my conclusion for The Red Baron which to be fair spends most of it's miles on the track, but I think many should consider their application and choose accordingly.

Hi All
Thanks for all the feedback, Miller's seems to be the oil of choice, will give it a go next time it's due a change

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back