Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.8 engine rebuild - who and how far to go?!

Zunsport grills are great but my black, Ally mesh and stainless self tappers off Ebay look just as good for less than £20. Well actually they are very unobtrusive so you hardly see them. If you are into DIY, save your money.

maldren said:
Zunsport grills are great but my black, Ally mesh and stainless self tappers off Ebay look just as good for less than £20. Well actually they are very unobtrusive so you hardly see them. If you are into DIY, save your money.

Absolutely. A good first DIY project.

MC

If you have to get the engine out and sorted then why would you not do all 6 liners?

It's going to cost a bit more in parts but not much in labour as it's all opened up and it's going to not only be worth more on re sale you have the reassurance that it's all been sorted by a top outfit like hartech

You get a warranty for the work too so it's all good news

Maybe do the clutch and IMS too (if early 997) when open

When I was looking for a 997 I would only consider one with a full rebuild by hartech on all 6 liners. I wanted a car with some mileage and not a garage queen.

NLW73 said:
If you have to get the engine out and sorted then why would you not do all 6 liners?

This advice seemed to be the consensus early on. The later debate was as to whether the rebuild should be done pre-emptively or left until it is actually needed.

T8 said:
NLW73 said:

This advice seemed to be the consensus early on. The later debate was as to whether the rebuild should be done pre-emptively or left until it is actually needed.

another vote for live with it, for now at least

my 94k miler 3.8 goes like a train and has always used a bit of oil, but it doesn't get any worse with miles and i take all the usual preventative measures...I'm not planning for the long and expensive drive to Bolton for some time yet....

I can't see any merit in doing a preemptive rebuild for bore scoring. Big end bearings, yes, but not bore scoring.

MC

Good thread to read and it seems the right advise given . I had mine rebuilt by Hartech and TBH didn't even at any point consider other rebuilders .

I know others with 997.1s who have light scoring and are still running and enjoying the car while monitoring the symptoms and saving to get the rebuild at some point, and agree its not a catastrophic failure but a gradual decline so it doesn't hurt to wait .

Re the option to do other things. as Krispe noted and I was told the 3.8 to 3.9 conversion is not a significant change and would suggest that getting the rebuilt engine remapped by Chipwizards while its up with Hartech and spending the extra money on things like new tandem pump, new coolant pipes , new high pressure pump etc etc. would be better use of the cash than the conversion to 3.9 from 3.8.

also worth consideration would be a new stainless steel exhaust maybe valved option this is lighter than OE and also better flowing and will add BHP .

Its an 06 car so very likely its got the newer better IMS bearings anyway so that won't need doing

keep us posted on progress :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back